Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can you really make a quilt in a day? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-you-really-make-quilt-day-t179596.html)

mighty 02-16-2012 08:59 PM

No way can I make a quilt in a day!!!

scraphq 02-16-2012 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 4980748)
My question is why would you want to? Why race to complete? IMHO quilting is a hobby to be savored and enjoyed. Quite honestly how nice is a quilt that was raced to completion? Seems if you are racing to finish you will be cutting corners and not piecing very precisely or checking your seams to ensure they will hold up. I just don't get it.
Yes I love to see the progression and yes I love the feeling of accomplishment I have when finishing up a quilt but I think that is because I choose peicing patterns that are complex and visually interesting. I want my quilts to hold up to hard use and I want them appealing enough that they WILL be used.

I carefully and thoughtfully select my quilting designs and motifs to compliment and enhance the piecing or carry on the theme of the quilt. I just don't understand the enticement of racing to complete a quilt just to get it done.

I thoroughly agree! So many folks seem to racing to get quilts done. Maybe that's why there seems to be a lot of complaints of burnout.

Silver Needle 02-16-2012 09:33 PM

It all depends on whether you are are process quilter or a product quilter. A process quilter gets their enjoyment and satisfaction from the steps taken to create the quilt. There's no RUSH to finish (unless you have a special deadline) because you are enjoying it as you go. The product quilter is motivated by seeing the finished result. So anything that helps them make it to that finish line more quickly is pleasing and enjoyable to them.

mcdaniel023 02-17-2012 03:41 AM

I can do a quilt in a day, start to finish. Quilt in a day log cabin, trip around the world and some patterns for precuts to name a few. Wickedly easy, yellow brick road and a couple from the mqc are my go to patterns if I need something really fast. Simple meandering and binding by machine are the only way I can get it done in a day.

gsbuffalo 02-17-2012 04:15 AM

I love eleanor burns methods and you can complete a quilt in a day if you wanted it but I think she is saying quilt in a day because her methods of cutting, sewing ect show you tricks to making the quilts simplier

gailinva 02-17-2012 04:39 AM

Also no bathroom breaks!!!

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 4981087)
I guess I could if I stayed focused, didn't take breaks, didn't check email, watch tv, make a call, stare out the window, get a snack, etc. I am retired with plenty of free time, but not all that motivated to make a quilt in a day.

BeverlyH 02-17-2012 04:47 AM

I have made several "Around the World" quilts in a day.

deedum 02-17-2012 04:48 AM

I have done a turning twenty quilt top in a day. I think the 10 minute block could easily be done in a day. Also perhaps a strip quilt, so yes the top can be done. I have done a baby quilt in a day completed.

sparkys_mom 02-17-2012 05:01 AM

I think simple tops go together pretty quickly but I can't see myself ever creating an entire quilt in a day. And as 'feline fanatic' said - "Why would you want to?". Much as I love the finished product, the process of creating the product is just as important to me.

azwendyg 02-17-2012 05:10 AM

Probably could, if I'd just stay off the quiltingboard!