Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can you say Dumb A** (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-you-say-dumb-%2A%2A-t73601.html)

carhop 11-03-2010 05:58 AM

been there and done that over again and again I just went 20mi to buy 1/4 foot and stich in ditch foot (DML viking) she had both I just didn't know what i was looking for

Debra Mc 11-03-2010 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by cdobbert40
I have not been able to sew for a week, thread keeps breaking, skipped stitches, tension not right. I have cleaned the bobbin casing, put in a new needle three times, rethreaded the machine a million times, messed with both upper and lower tension, gave up sending it for repair. Went to sewing room last night to make sure everything was put back on the machine cause I was bringing it somewhere to have it looked at, so I said to myself, self lets just take a look one more time at the manual and see if we can't figure this out and low and behold there is the problem right in front of me. The flat part of the needle faces the rear of the machine. Leave it to me to figure out how to put a sqare peg into a round hole. How was I even getting the needle in? Anyway, my machine is working just fine now and I will go and wipe the mud off my face.

Don't you just hate it when that happens. Makes you feel like a total dork. I have done that too. My quilting machine doesn't like cotton thread on top with polyester on bottom. Will mess up everytime. Bet you can't guess how I found that out?

Rosyhf 11-03-2010 06:15 AM

Don't feel bad, I have done all of it ahahahahah..but this is how we learn right? Another tip, if your thread keeps breaking,chances are the thread is rotten lol....

sunrise450 11-03-2010 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I threaded my Pfaff wrong the other day. I've been using if for a year so how did I forget how to do it. Just a senior moment I guess. At least the machine got a good cleaning out of it.

Been there done that! I find that when ever something doesn't sound right or do right, I clean & oil, change the needle and rethread.

CarrieAnne 11-03-2010 06:35 AM

Ive done the SAME thing, lol!

mhansen6 11-03-2010 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
I'm in the the dumbass club! a few months ago my brand new janome suddenly started making thread nests in the bobbin and making a horrible noise, it wouldn't even pick up the bobbin to bring it to the top, the last thing i had done was use the htread cutter, i love that thing!i took the bobbin area apart as far as i dared to see if i could see what went wrong, for 3 days i cussed and cried waiting for monday so i could take it back to the dealer. patrice said "did you rethread it?" i was very adament that the problem was the thread cutter! i wouldn't even try rethreading. finally on monday afternoon i called to be sure the guy was in, 75 miles away, he said "did you rethread it?" i rolled my eyes and said IT'S THE THREAD CUTTER! he said well let's just try it. so i did, guess what :oops: the thread had come out of the takeup lever. you know patrice enjoyed it!!

When I got my new machine I took a class to learn how to use it. The first thing they told us was if you ever have a problem with the machine rethread the machine, top and bobbin. 90% of the time it will correct the problem. Sure enough, every time my machine acts up I rethread and it fixes it. I pull out the thread and totally rethread it.

Roberta 11-03-2010 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight
Been there done that. When I purchased my first Featherweight, I kept threading from the left to right. DUH, If all else fails read instructions. It is threaded from right to left, No more problems. LOL

Oh I hear you because I did the same thing. Now, when I switch from the Featherweight to the Janome I have to recite, left to right or vice versa.

lillybeck 11-03-2010 07:27 AM

lol been there done that

JudeWill 11-03-2010 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by stitchingmemories
Don't feel bad, I had a walking foot that came with my machine and when I used it I couldn't figure out why people liked it so much. I wasn't putting the little arm up around the screw that holds the needle in. I felt so dumb. I have to hope even the brightest (of which I certainly don't qualify) of quilters have done crazy things too.

Oh, my word, that is exactly what I was doing! lol When I first got my machine and tried the walking foot, I couldn't figure out why it was making this "clacking" noise. Even asked about it when I went in for my lessons. Asked if anyone else's did that. Of course, no one's did. I was going to take it in when I finally realized what I was not doing. I was [u]so glad[u] I had not done that!

JeanDal 11-03-2010 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by cdobbert40
I have not been able to sew for a week, thread keeps breaking, skipped stitches, tension not right. I have cleaned the bobbin casing, put in a new needle three times, rethreaded the machine a million times, messed with both upper and lower tension, gave up sending it for repair. Went to sewing room last night to make sure everything was put back on the machine cause I was bringing it somewhere to have it looked at, so I said to myself, self lets just take a look one more time at the manual and see if we can't figure this out and low and behold there is the problem right in front of me. The flat part of the needle faces the rear of the machine. Leave it to me to figure out how to put a sqare peg into a round hole. How was I even getting the needle in? Anyway, my machine is working just fine now and I will go and wipe the mud off my face.

Your machine sounds like mine. I think I'll go and recheck it.