Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can you say Dumb A** (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-you-say-dumb-%2A%2A-t73601.html)

jdavis 11-03-2010 09:01 AM

Oh you poor thing!
Pat yourself on the back for NOT paying someone else to figure it out!

franie 11-03-2010 09:05 AM

Oh not the first time that has happened to all of us probably. I had a new machine and put down the dogs and could not get them to come back up. Took it in and was so embarrassed too--you have to take a stitch or two before they pop back. Never forgot that lesson!

Rose Lee 11-03-2010 09:17 AM

Been there,done that also, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger, we all make mistakes and then laugh about them.

jojosnana 11-03-2010 09:18 AM

and I thought only I did these things......I also put the needle in wrong and lost a precious week being very upset. So I unthreaded everything, took the needle out, took the bobbin out and started over. It ran like a top. I had an ice cream sundae to celebrate.

OKLAHOMA PEACH 11-03-2010 09:28 AM

Oh! been there done that, even took machine to the shop. Boy you should have seen the repairmans expression. Life happens.

patdesign 11-03-2010 10:01 AM

Done both the needle and the bobbin thing, also misthreaded the tension discs, all of the above will mess things up!

libertykm 11-03-2010 10:09 AM

I am so glad I read this thread. It's like a troubleshooting guide. I have learned.

1. If it doesn't sew, try rethreading the thread and bobbin.
2. Look to see if there is fuzz in the bobbin.
3. Make sure the needle is put in the right way.
4. Sew a stitch if your feed dog doesn't go down.
5. Don't put the bobbin in backwards
6. Not all bobbins are equal.
7. Make sure you put the walking foot on right.
8. IT'S PROBABLY NOT THE THREAD CUTTER. haha

I've had most of these problems, but I'm sure I will have a brand new one some day.

I LOVE THIS SITE.

angieh1964 11-03-2010 10:30 AM

i had major problems with my singer (book is useless as are most owners manuels are nowadays) had trouble with all kinds of thread breaking bobbin making bird nests thought for sure it had to be machine then someone mentioned sometimes thread has to come off the spool a certain way well i didnt think this could possibly be it bobbin thread comes off back why would spool not also but noooooo it comes off the front they are so careful to mention in book about direction of bobbin thread but not spool why would they do this? my thought is so some nice repair man can make some money or get a good laugh at this dummy!

deema 11-03-2010 10:48 AM

Yep, one day my feed dogs weren't working right, my fabric was jumping all over the place, threads were nesting...I wanted to throw the darn thing out the window...

I didn't put the foot down.

Ragann63 11-03-2010 12:18 PM

LOL - Similar thing just happened to my mom. She fiddled with her serger for quite a while finally telling my dad it just didn't work and would have to go to the shop. My sister in law (not a sewer) came over and saw it on the counter. Mom told her what was going on and walked away. A few minutes later my SIL yelled out that she thought maybe just the light bulb was loose! Mom never tried the pedal - when the light didn't come on she assumed the machine was broken!!