Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can you say Dumb A** (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-you-say-dumb-%2A%2A-t73601.html)

stewyscrewy 11-03-2010 12:47 PM

oh I know you aint the only one who has done something like that. he he could it be me too.

MadQuilter 11-03-2010 12:48 PM

Oh, that's just a Homer Simpson DUH! moment. In my book, Dumba** indicates that something needs fixing. lol

I recently learned that in order to use the pressure foot lift (with my right knee) I needed to drive with my left foot. OMG - how many times did I have my right foot on the gas while moving the lever at the same time. I'm a work in progress - aren't we all?

CGail 11-03-2010 01:30 PM

I had a problem with a noise on my machine. It sewed fine, but there was just a strange noise. I called the dealer and asked him if he knew what he could be. He had me to put the telephone next to the machine and run it. He said 'turn off the bobbin winder'. - Cynthia

Boni53 11-03-2010 03:07 PM

You'll make me feel so good. I have done many of the things you'll wrote about. I even bought another machine only to find out not much was wrong with the one I had. But do so enjoy the Janome 10000. Now thinking of getting a quilting machine.

Connie Rae 11-03-2010 03:07 PM

I am a newbie to quilting and have been doing some Downy Quilts for Kids (which is so much fun) but, I have a question-'we found an old small Singer (probably from the 50's) stored by my mom in it's black case and wrapped in a plastic bag. It has such a musty smell and I have tryed setting it out in the sun to air out, packed it with newspapers, put some vanilla in with it, an still no solution. Any ideas???

leamelon 11-03-2010 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pat ur self on the head for saving a whole bunch of money u cannot walk into a repairshop here w/out hearing 100.00

sew wishful 11-03-2010 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Connie Rae
I am a newbie to quilting and have been doing some Downy Quilts for Kids (which is so much fun) but, I have a question-'we found an old small Singer (probably from the 50's) stored by my mom in it's black case and wrapped in a plastic bag. It has such a musty smell and I have tryed setting it out in the sun to air out, packed it with newspapers, put some vanilla in with it, an still no solution. Any ideas???

Is it a Featherweight????? How about fabric softerner sheets and close it up for awhile?? Is the machine musty too?

karate lady 11-03-2010 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by cdobbert40
I have not been able to sew for a week, thread keeps breaking, skipped stitches, tension not right. I have cleaned the bobbin casing, put in a new needle three times, rethreaded the machine a million times, messed with both upper and lower tension, gave up sending it for repair. Went to sewing room last night to make sure everything was put back on the machine cause I was bringing it somewhere to have it looked at, so I said to myself, self lets just take a look one more time at the manual and see if we can't figure this out and low and behold there is the problem right in front of me. The flat part of the needle faces the rear of the machine. Leave it to me to figure out how to put a sqare peg into a round hole. How was I even getting the needle in? Anyway, my machine is working just fine now and I will go and wipe the mud off my face.

smile....that is your goof for the year.. we all have one sooner or later.....

karate lady 11-03-2010 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by deema
Yep, one day my feed dogs weren't working right, my fabric was jumping all over the place, threads were nesting...I wanted to throw the darn thing out the window...

I didn't put the foot down.

been there done that!!!!!!!

sylvia77 11-03-2010 04:44 PM

I just had to put mine in and you'd never guess what was wrong. I have a thread rack that fits onto the back of the sewing machine. I had a spool of monofil. thread and it had gotten wrapped around my hand wheel and melted. I'm lucky I didn't burn up the motor as all I knew was it wasn't moving the fabric as I sewed! I feel dumber than dumb!