Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can't figure out what's wrong with this picture! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cant-figure-out-whats-wrong-picture-t208319.html)

BrendaK 12-13-2012 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker (Post 5716696)
I love the pattern of the blocks but I agree that the white is too stark. I think I would either put the pink and green together or use the floral for sashing or you could use the floral in place of the white.

My first thought was use the floral in place of the white. I would love to see a block this way. Love that we can learn from Jan. BrendaK

jfowles 12-13-2012 07:59 AM

I like it!!!!!!!!

mom2boyz 12-13-2012 08:22 AM

Personally I love white in a quilt although I have never used it in one - go figure??? Anyhow, I am a little confused Jan, how is white considered a medium value? I am still trying to absorb all of this.

Jingle 12-13-2012 08:35 AM

I think they look great as is. I'm by no means an expert but, all the traditional quilts had a background of white or white was used somewhere in almost if not all of them.

Milli 12-13-2012 08:42 AM

I like the white I would change the floral.

thimblebug6000 12-13-2012 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda (Post 5716969)
Bear
I think the blocks are blending in with the floral. Maybe you could add a small white border to each block to seperate the floral from the blocks. You need to stop the eye between the blocks and sashing. When you have the same color in any amt in both sashing and block they will appear to bleed from one to the other.

I don't think changing the white is the problem at all. I like the white. Tho you know me I would have used a small tiny print in place of the white. LOL

This was going to be my suggestion as well, just a little ¼" flange of white around those solid colour outside block border pieces & I think it would look stunning.

Freddie 12-13-2012 09:02 AM

Another option would be to put a lighter green in the green and lighter pink in the pink, so it looks a little more shaded as in the print.

ellifour 12-13-2012 09:27 AM

I think the white is too stark, use a much softer pink and softer green or use the floral instead of the white.

Sparkling Lake 12-13-2012 10:07 AM

I agree that the white is too prominent. What if you made another block to go between them or use a stronger color some where that would offset the white? Someone suggested off white. That might work. I also like the idea of the floral instead of the white. Maybe white sashing? I am new at quilting. I just started to teach myself to quilt a few months ago so take my advise w/ a grain of salt. ;)

slicksister 12-13-2012 10:51 AM

I think the the would be great if you put a border of white around each block. That way the green and pink would float inside the blocks and the floral would tie them all together. I'm a huge fan of white though and I use it in every quilt I make.