Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can't figure out what's wrong with this picture! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cant-figure-out-whats-wrong-picture-t208319.html)

Jan in VA 12-13-2012 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by mom2boyz (Post 5717726)
.....I am a little confused Jan, how is white considered a medium value? I am still trying to absorb all of this.

The white shown here is, of course, not a "medium". As it appears to be the fabric in question, I was not considering that particular fabric when I mentioned that her fabrics were all in the medium values.

Jan in VA

tweety2 12-14-2012 04:53 AM

I think the floral would like real nice instead of the white. Very pretty material and I
love the pattern.

marymay 12-14-2012 04:54 AM

I don't see a thing wrong with this. Very pretty.

Cindy60545 12-14-2012 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5716629)
Are these fabrics and these blocks all you have of the quilt so far? If there's more, can you post a pic?

The way these blocks are currently designed, the white is very dominant. Also the values are all mediums, little contrast is seen. Perhaps pushing the colors more to the dark, even if they are not technically "in" the floral print, and adding some very light values of the colors (very soft sweet peach, much paler green, a pale, pale blueberry/violet) might help you like the look better.

Sometimes I make a color copy of the block then color it a new way with color pencils; lay that on the quilt and see if it's better.

You have the color families of red (the coral/peach), green, and hints of blue evident. Perhaps adding a pale yellow (the 4th "primary" color) rather than white would help soften the starkness of the white.

Jan in VA

I totally agree! That white is just too outstanding in these blocks. I would go with a very light peach in the pink block & maybe a mint green in the green block. Then use the floral as a sashing. I think this will make a lovely quilt when it's done. Please post your progress.

coldquilter 12-14-2012 05:24 AM

Some good comments already but I agree that the white is too bright compared to the rest of the fabrics. Maybe switching to an off white would solve the problem. Love the floral fabric and the other colors though.

Friday1961 12-14-2012 05:52 AM

I agree it is the white that doesn't work with the floral, though the blocks themselves are beautiful and would look smashing in some other setting.

sandyquilts 12-14-2012 06:12 AM

I concur. Great answer.
SandyQuilter

MaggieLou 12-14-2012 06:21 AM

What about using a lighter green instead of the white with the darker green and a darker peach instead of white on the other one?

Iraxy 12-14-2012 06:31 AM

Agree with Jan. Need something else to make the background fit the blocks. Look in your stash and see what you may have there.

janbland 12-14-2012 06:41 AM

How are you going to quilt it? If you are quilting a design in the blocks (eg., feather), then use the yellow (cream) in your thread and that will soften the white.