Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can't figure out what's wrong with this picture! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cant-figure-out-whats-wrong-picture-t208319.html)

Slow2Sew 12-14-2012 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by love 2 sew (Post 5716642)
Holy Moly, Jan! I wish I knew what you know!
Joan

Me too!!! Thanks, Jan for sharing your knowledge with others.

misseva 12-14-2012 07:45 AM

Well, I like the white. I'd strip it with white.

wildyard 12-14-2012 08:22 AM

Have you thought about switching around everything? IE: I would try using your floral where your solids are now, using the solids where the white is and picking up that lavender/purple with the sashing.
I, too, think the white is too stark and is the visual problem you are having with the way it lays out. Even tho it all reads as mediums except the background of the floral, sometimes that makes a very restful and relaxing quilt for a bed. I personally would have no problem with that. I would get a tone on tone purple for the sashing that is also in the range of your peach and green.

riutzelj 12-14-2012 08:38 AM

If you don't want to use a 4th primary, go to color wheel opposite the orange or the green and see if there is a complementary and use it instead of the white in a lighter or darker value than the mediums that you are using.

milikaa1 12-14-2012 08:57 AM

It is hard to judge the outcome for me when I only have few blocks, but I think it is nice with the white, I would say that if you continue with what you have, you will love it when it is done, I love using white in many quilts....but that is just my opinion.

cpower 12-14-2012 09:23 AM

I love the white! You are off to what is called a Modern! Use more white, then throw in the the peach and green on the borders to tie it all together, and if you insist on the floral being used....add it as the binding!

jbj137 12-14-2012 10:10 AM

It is Great as is.

butterflies5518 12-14-2012 10:11 AM

Your blocks are beautifully pieced - if only I could accomplish that **just a little bit jealous!

nativetexan 12-14-2012 11:42 AM

please don't tear your blocks apart. just add some more white somewhere else in the quilt.

GrannieAnnie 12-14-2012 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by tjk829 (Post 5716582)
I decided to take a break from the seminole border I am working on... all the little squares were making my head spin. I fell in love with the pink and green floral and thought the arrowhead blocks would look great with it, but they don't look right and I can't figure out why. Is the white messing it up since there is none in the floral.. too much contrast, not enough contrast? Maybe I need a different block? or a block with just the pink and green? Any opinion is welcome!

Can you find a white that has teeny tiny bits of the peach and green? It's just a hang up of mine, but I don't like just plain white! Even a cream tonal would look good IMO