Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cashing in on selvage fad (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cashing-selvage-fad-t247475.html)

CookyIN 05-27-2014 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by LynnVT (Post 6733546)
That is really funny. Personally I don't like the look of selvedge stuff, especially since the toughest, stiffest part of the fabric goes together with so many seams so close together.

I haven't done anything with selvedges yet, but here's a tip: Use a foundation of muslin to piece without seams. Similar to shingling a roof, lay your first strip at the bottom with the raw edge of fabric along the top edge. Sew your next selvedge so that the "selvedge" edge overlaps the raw edge of the first fabric. Keep going upwards, sewing each new selvedge to the one beneath it. When you're done, treat the selvedges as a piece of fabric to be cut up and sewn as you choose.

Hope this helps!

Onebyone 05-27-2014 05:37 PM

This is awful, shame on you "Timeless Treasures"
This fabric is great. It makes great binding for scrap quilts and colorful quilts. When I saw it I bought several yards of it and didn't feel one bit of shame. LOL.

kayluvs2quilt 05-27-2014 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 6733563)
I want to see what the selvage looks like on that fabric. LOL

Me too.....

MaryAnnMc 05-27-2014 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK (Post 6733810)
Brilliant!! I love it!!! Might just have to buy some!! Perfect for the binding on my Selvedge Quilt!!!:thumbup:

No, Hilary, your idea is brilliant!! I love it. Now I want some.

Yooper32 05-28-2014 03:34 AM

He say..." good idea". An old phrase of mine from the ancient movie, "Never Cry Wolf". I think it is a marvelous idea. I am way too cheap to cut a half an inch or even less off of my fabric, so no selvage projects are made by me. This fabric would be a boon to me.

IQuiltnFL 05-28-2014 03:52 AM

And all the quilty gifts we could make... Pin cushions, sewing machine covers, mug rugs, notebook covers...so cute!

lindaschipper 05-28-2014 04:45 AM

I think it's a brilliant idea and would like a purse or check book holder made out of it. What a great advertising ploy for "Timeless Treasures"!!

CoventryUK 05-28-2014 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc (Post 6734148)
No, Hilary, your idea is brilliant!! I love it. Now I want some.

Doesn't seem to be available in UK:(!! The postage to the UK is prohibitive!!! Grrrrrrr!!! Frustrated now!!!!

Cornerstone quilter 05-28-2014 07:21 AM

I've never done a selvedge quilt. I'm a little confused about how to do it. I like the 'shingle' approach, but how is it done by sewing them together? I understand cutting into the fabric a little to get the seam allowance but how do you get enough seam allowance from the edge of the fabric for the other seam?

CoventryUK 05-28-2014 07:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Cornerstone quilter (Post 6734686)
I've never done a selvedge quilt. I'm a little confused about how to do it. I like the 'shingle' approach, but how is it done by sewing them together? I understand cutting into the fabric a little to get the seam allowance but how do you get enough seam allowance from the edge of the fabric for the other seam?

This is my quilt! Just have to sandwich,quilt and bind it now! I sew onto a calico foundation..these are 6" squares! Oops! Posted wron pic of back of this quilt! I sewed the strips diagonally on my this quilt...but you get the idea!