Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   chair for sewing room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/chair-sewing-room-t215536.html)

AliKat 03-05-2013 08:29 AM

If you have the budget go for it!

I have what my daughter calls a mushroom chair. More offices are using them now. Mine was made by Swopper and I got it a a real office store - not Staples or Office whatever.

mary quilting 03-05-2013 08:31 AM

I would go without arms

Originally Posted by Ranchwife (Post 5905935)
I would go without arms - sometimes the arms get in the way of being able to fully turn. Also when you are sewing, your arms aren't going to be on the arms - they are going to be out in front of you. I would suggest that you go with him to pick out a chair. My husband is 6 ft 3 inches and what feels good to him is too large for me. Get a good chair with good lumbar support, a back that can me moved to be more upright rather than reclining, a seat that fits your bottom, and the ability to adjust the seat height. Happy birthday!

drivingsusan 03-05-2013 08:48 AM

Without arms!!!
But....if you try all the chairs and the one that fits you the best has arms....buy it...just don't install the arms (if it comes in pieces!) ..........or remove them....very easy and does not 'weaken' the chair!

Sewnoma 03-05-2013 08:54 AM

My husband has a great office chair that has arms that flip up out of the way. I want one for myself since my sewing chair also doubles as my office chair, where I really do need arms. That's the best of both worlds!

But if your chair is going to be sewing-only, I definitely am with the group - no arms! My chair is very comfy but the arms definitely get in the way. I've even managed to pinch a quilt between the arm and the table and have a seam go sideways because of the tug...more than once! Argh!

mighty 03-05-2013 08:58 AM

Mine also have arms that you can fip out of the way.

QuiltnNan 03-05-2013 10:37 AM

i like mine without arms as i'm constantly getting up and down... taking off running, so to speak... and the arms are just in my way.

CorgiNole 03-05-2013 11:53 AM

No arms.

I got a wonderful chair. Great lumbar support, comfortable... the arms don't adjust (my fault for not figuring this out while I sat and tested over a dozen chairs one day). I can't get my wonderful chair close enough to my table.

Cheers, K

irishrose 03-05-2013 12:16 PM

Go to a large office supply store and try out all the chairs. I prefer a simple one with no arms, but it has to fit - and be adjustable in height.

charsuewilson 03-05-2013 03:50 PM

Be sure that it has 5 feet (rather than 4 feet). The 4 footed rolling chairs tend to tip over. I have one I'm about ready to give away because of that. I have a sewing bench ready to go into the sewing room.
Sue

Sapphire_Rae 03-05-2013 04:07 PM

Mine has arms, wish I could remove them. Get one with no arms.