Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   charity: what organizations do you donate to? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/charity-what-organizations-do-you-donate-t242947.html)

carolstickelmaier 03-11-2014 05:22 AM

Mine go to St Jude and local charities. Last year was over 37 quilts to St Jude and I lost count to the local charities. One little hint I might add. The older kids and teens seem to get left out. I know it is much more expensive and takes much longer to make but they too would love to receive a quilt. Lap quilts go to our local home bound citizens when the annual food baskets are delivered. I do if I can send fabric, $ when I see a board member requesting and I have the items on hand or enough extra $ to give. I don't always have a lot but figure I still have more than a lot of people do. It pleases me to help others. Makes me feel good.Carol

MamaHen 03-11-2014 05:41 AM

I make baby quilts for the local Pregnancy Crises Center.

reginalovesfabric 03-11-2014 06:11 AM

I make quilts for people that lose their homes due to fire, hurricanes etc. I also have friend that is a Nun and she loves to pass out quilts around the holidays to the needy. To date I have donated 350 pillowcases to different organizations. I love to make pillowcases.

libby2595 03-11-2014 06:56 AM

i'm loving this conversation!!

meyert 03-11-2014 07:31 AM

I started with Quilts for Kids, and I really happy that I started. I know I have to pay shipping because I don't have a local chapter.. but they send me the fabric at NO charge. I got fabric for 2 quilts for $7, can't beat that. All I have to provide my time, the thread and batting.. which is not much at all. I love the thought of my quilts going to a sick kid in a hospital.. even if the kid is on the other side of the country... Plus every quilt I make I am getting a little better at doing my FMQ :)

dakotamaid 03-11-2014 08:38 AM

Over the years, to many to mention. My most recent are our local shelter, fire department (small quilts with stuffed animals), local hospital (they are not as picky as Project Linus or Quilts for kids.) And a neonatal unit not far from us.

Also whatever catastrophe is going on, ie: tornado victims, fire victims, etc.

Edit: When I say picky I mean mostly size and fabrics. Local places just need quilts that don't fall apart and wash easily. Size is not an issue. :)

melindad 03-11-2014 09:33 AM

I am making 30 inch quilts for the NICU ( preemies ) unit in a couple of local hospitals. My grandson was a 2 lb preemie and giving back is a no-brainer for me! Each baby will be sent home with a quilt!

gigigray032447 03-11-2014 09:54 AM

The Cancer Center at Alamance County Regional Hospital.

Patrick's Mom 03-11-2014 10:18 AM

I enjoy making bead bags ("courage keepers") for Beads of Courage. Children with serious illnesses earn symbols of courage (beads) as they receive their treatments. The bags are used to keep the beads safe. The program is 10 years old and is active in the USA, Canada, UK, Japan and New Zealand. Instructions to make and donate bags are on the website under the "artists" heading.

Daylesewblessed 03-11-2014 12:11 PM

I forgot to mention that I make tops and occasionally help my mom's group when I visit her in tying quilts for Lutheran World Relief. Most quilts go to refugees and disaster survivors world wide.