Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Chenille bedspreads (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/chenille-bedspreads-t131272.html)

OneMoreQuilt 06-19-2011 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by pjaco
How interesting ! So, to use them, you must have to take them apart for your loom ?? I personally "collect" way too many things. but, that's what makes me me, right ? Love the people on here, such variety and tallent !! send pics !

Originally Posted by OneMoreQuilt
I love them. My parents always had one on their bed. Yes...lots of memories. I collect them now. I want to make a jacket out of one of them. I get them from garage sales and weave rugs with them on my loom. I get them cheap because I can use them even if they are not in good shape. The rugs are great and feel really good on bare feet. Lots of people use them for bath rugs.

I cut them into strips to weave them. Will make another in a week or so so you can see pics of the process too :-)

SandyinZ4 06-19-2011 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
Susan - here are two I've made, I had these pictures on my laptop. Kris

Love what you did with those quilts, Kris! I have to add a funny story. I have had a white chenile bedspread on my bed for about 15 years now. DH bought me a white chenile robe about 12 years ago from one of those catalogs that come in the mail. We were babysitting the grandkids over night some years ago and grandson was about 4 years old. I had taken a bath and DH was watching the kids. I came out of the bathroom wearing my white robe. Grandson looks up at me and says,'Grandma, why are you wearing a bedspread?" DH and I about fell over laughing. One nice moment I will always remember. I found my latest chenile on Ebay about 5 years ago. Expensive, but queen size and made of cotton.

Olivia's Grammy 06-20-2011 01:45 PM

I a white one that I keep at the foot of my bed for nights that are just a tiny bit to cool. I had a lime green one that I cute up to make a jacket for myself. I always get compliments when I wear it. I still have a couple more bedspreads that I can cut up when I find something I want to make.

Marvel 06-29-2011 04:18 PM

They were soft and so cuddly. My friend had a large one and when her mother dies she took her robe and made three little Boy dolls for the young grandchildre. They kept the great granny close to them.

nativetexan 06-29-2011 04:32 PM

I wouldn't mind having one on my guest bed. i remember wearing my Mothers long chenille robe when i was ill. it felt like that thing weighed 50 pounds!

okie quilter 07-10-2011 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by pjaco
Curious to know if anyone else loves vintage chenille bedspreads as much as I do. Cotton ones, soft, takes you back to your childhood. anyone??

odd you should mention that...i have been 'under the weather' for couple of days, resting, unable to finish a quilt that i am quite anxious to finish, thinking of the chenille spreads mom used. they were not all 'linty' like the ones you get today. did you ever have the martha washington style ones...all cotton and looped, not sheared into chenille? they were nice and heavy. where in okla do you live?

butter14562 07-10-2011 04:25 PM

Have one on my bed now they are the best.

sewingsusie 07-10-2011 04:54 PM

I bought up a few and made house coats with them and they turned out nice and have held up good!! My grandaughters have them and pass them down as they grow to the next one!!

luvTooQuilt 07-10-2011 05:33 PM

I just found a rosette one for $5 that I gave my mom.. I have them on the guest beds for the summer and when it gets chilly outside, I put my Quilts on the beds..

pjaco 10-13-2011 06:05 PM

so sorry, just now found your post. I live in SW OKC :-)