Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Chenille bedspreads (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/chenille-bedspreads-t131272.html)

ljptexas 06-17-2011 05:40 PM

Yeah, I do but the ones today are so thin & the good qualtity ones are toooo expensive. I found 1 at a thrift store for $6, was so excited, wanted it for my queen bed. It was white, bought $12 worth of blue dye & turned out so pretty but after dying & drying discovered it was only twin..!!! It turned out soo pretty but am using it on a twin I have.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

wolph33 06-17-2011 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Umm. Not really. They are beautiful for those that know how to treat them. But, they are not for me. I'm sorry, but they remind me of my elderly grandmother who used to poop in her bedding and I got to wash it.

lol,you are tooo funny

oldswimmer 06-17-2011 05:43 PM

I love them, and have many. I started collecting them for our guest bedroom that has two twin beds. Finding a matchint pair was always fun! Now I have several totes with nice spreads in them. I am waiting to finish off one guest bedroom, and will use them in there...along with quilts!

irishrose 06-17-2011 10:23 PM

sak658, I had two daughters with severe allergies and a son with dust allergies. The girls' allergist said definitely no chenille bedspreads. The fluffy parts do catch and hold dust.

amazon 06-18-2011 12:00 AM

Yes, I love them. Found a beautiful cream one at a yard sale, ask how much, lady said "How about 2 bucks, I about fainted and grabbed it up,lol.Have bought a few that were damaged, going to repurpose them, but I can't bear to cut them.

pjaco 06-18-2011 02:48 AM

Thanks you guys ! It's nice to know I'm not the only "collector" of things that give me comfort. Makes me miss the simple times, you know ?

pjaco 06-18-2011 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by amazon
Yes, I love them. Found a beautiful cream one at a yard sale, ask how much, lady said "How about 2 bucks, I about fainted and grabbed it up,lol.Have bought a few that were damaged, going to repurpose them, but I can't bear to cut them.

:D What a Deal !!!

pjaco 06-18-2011 02:52 AM

I know what you mean. I swear, I have one that must weigh 20 lbs ! It's yellow & white and I have thinner ones. I guess they only had double beds back then, nothing larger. Some of mine are so worn but I still haven't cut them, maybe sometime later. I've got tons of "Later" things to do..you'd think I'd quit going to the quilt shop, but so inspiring !!

Originally Posted by ljptexas
Yeah, I do but the ones today are so thin & the good qualtity ones are toooo expensive. I found 1 at a thrift store for $6, was so excited, wanted it for my queen bed. It was white, bought $12 worth of blue dye & turned out so pretty but after dying & drying discovered it was only twin..!!! It turned out soo pretty but am using it on a twin I have.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

miriam 06-18-2011 02:54 AM

I would like to see pictures of what was made out of them. I used to pick the fluffy parts off mine - it got naked... mom tossed it...

the old one 06-18-2011 03:13 AM

Yes, chenille bedspreads are lovely, we have a white one, only about ten years old, that goes on our bed when I want to showcase an old quilt that does not fit a king sized mattress. First the white chenille covers the bed, then the oldie is spread diagonally--and sometimes I use the chenille spread alone, to accent my quilted throw pillows, whose colors don't look nice with any of our quilts. A few years ago, there was a big fad for sewing pull-over shirts cut from old spreads, never did that . The bedspreads were a popular wedding gift here in Iowa, for many years. And that's probably more than you wanted to know. piecefully, the old one