Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   CHRISTMAS CLUB IDEA (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/christmas-club-idea-t59506.html)

Doris Sumnicht 08-17-2010 08:19 AM

On making potato microwave bag: Use ONLY cotton materials and thread throughout the project. We learned of some fires from using these bags (while I was working for a fabric outlet) and the answer seemed to be is not to use any chemically based materials (polyester, acrylic) in the construction. I wish I knew whether Insulbright is safe to use. These bags are longer than wide, about 10 x 15, fully lined, with batting inside. I quilted mine around the design of the outside print, then finished the bag with a turndown of the top. Flannel is good, at least for the lining.

Doris Sumnicht 08-17-2010 08:26 AM

When DH worked at the airport, he became acquinted with airline personnel for which he wanted a small gift for each. I found some sale priced printed "rough" brown/tan which was perfect for lunch sacks, which I made with a rectangular bottom (to let it stand up), lined with "western theme" prints and a turn down top with a piece of Velcro to hold closed. I remember adding a pocket on one side, inserted a narrow hemmed "western" napkin. Today I would consider the size of a water bottle or can of soda in deciding the dimensions. These were appreciated by Frontier and Delta staff.

Doris Sumnicht 08-17-2010 08:34 AM

I am a "senior", so have learned from others what they like. Surely younger people would agree. Double sided mitten style (more like envelope form) potholders of interesting shapes, and also rectangular ones to use in taking food out of microwave ovens--made in pairs. Men especially like these. (Two retired military officers told me recently that they use these all the time instead of the regular, squared holders)

Laura3 08-17-2010 08:35 AM

Ok, I finally got to it....I posted my Praline Pecan Crunch Snack Mix on the Recipe page.....Hope you guys enjoy it...Laura

Doris Sumnicht 08-17-2010 08:38 AM

See my response in another entry on this. Please note that you should use ONLY cotton materials throughout, including thread and insulation/batting. Some fires were reported from using the potato bag in microwave, and this was attributed to apparently lower melting point/fire chances of non-natural fibers. This is just a word of caution.

mimistutz 08-17-2010 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by sarge1

Originally Posted by Laura3
I have the best snack mix that I give out every other year for Christmas. On the year that I bake cookies everyone gets mad at me. I also have been the most requested mom for the college kids because of this mix. It can be made ahead and looks great in tins...Should I post it here or in recipes?

I'd like to see the snack mix recipe here!

I too would like to see it here.

lbc 08-17-2010 08:40 AM

My granddaughter is really into holidays. I have made her a pillow case for Valentines Day, St. Pat's, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas and her birthday.

mimistutz 08-17-2010 08:53 AM

I really like this idea. There are some very neat SOUNDING ideas I've read, but I don't know how to make them. So, for any who can, please post the directions with the idea. I know some have or have posted links, but there are others I would like to try. Like, but not only, pot holders and bean something? I think maybe like a hot pad?

carmen4him 08-17-2010 08:55 AM

Is there a pattern for the Mini Bow Tuck purses? Thanks, Happy Stitchin.

Originally Posted by erstan947
Good Idea. I'm thinking about making Mini Bow Tuck purses out of holiday fabrics and then use them as gift bags (holiday baked goodies).

DeniseP 08-17-2010 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by charismah
I think a good gift idea would be lunch bags....or shopping totes. GUys would use lunch bags and non-disposable snack bags...Don't you think?

I find that guys don't like something that looks like their mom might have made it. Just a thought, maybe your guys would like it, I know mine wouldn't. It would find it's way to the back of the closet.