Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Civil War GFG samples-What do you think? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/civil-war-gfg-samples-what-do-you-think-t193346.html)

charhend 07-03-2012 07:47 PM

I love the colors that you picked out. I started a GFG about 15 years ago! Someday I hope to complete it. I wish you the best of luck on getting your's done in a more timely manner than me.

rrhaigh 07-03-2012 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by charhend (Post 5337261)
I love the colors that you picked out. I started a GFG about 15 years ago! Someday I hope to complete it. I wish you the best of luck on getting your's done in a more timely manner than me.

I worried about that prior to starting this project! I will work on it in the evenings when my husband is watching TV. I also plan to work on it when we take trips - I recently retired, so we take more trips than we used to. I know this project will take a long time, but I enjoy the hand work - at least I can be productive in the evenings while the TV is on (I am not much of a TV watcher, but want to spend time with hubby). I originally planned to do king size quilt, but got realistic and settled on a lap quilt!

rrhaigh 07-03-2012 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by dottiequilts (Post 5334942)
I just got "English Paper Piecing" by Vicki Bellino. There is a quilt in there done with similar colors. It has a black outer fabric that has hints of gold in it. The quilt in the book is gorgeous, and yours will be too. I just started one in red, white and blue fabrics for my nephew.

I just went on-line and looked at the book you mentioned. I love it and I just ordered it from Amazon.com. I can't wait to get it and check out all the designs and background choices. Thank you for sharing about the book.

w7sue 07-03-2012 10:10 PM

I love them - my vote would be to continue - but, I love Civil War prints and have several quilts made with them.

linmid 07-04-2012 04:02 AM

It makes me think of a fall garden, so no I don't think it is too dull.

hairquilt 07-04-2012 04:56 AM

I think they are beautiful!! Keep going!!

gollytwo 07-04-2012 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by charhend (Post 5337261)

I began one as a crib quilt for my first grandson using fabrics from family clothing.
Still in the works and he turned 20 last month

katydidkg 07-22-2012 12:38 PM

Why not try some flowers with darker or medium print hexies around the outside and light for the center ? I've never done a GMF, but civil war or Kansas Troubles fabrics would be my choice.

nygal 07-22-2012 12:43 PM

I love it!!

bstock 07-22-2012 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Marilynsue (Post 5331693)
Ooooh! keep going.......that is going to be a beautiful quilt!

I agree!! Keep going!!