Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Color Catcher Warning..when washing fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/color-catcher-warning-when-washing-fabrics-t190120.html)

KathyJ 05-28-2012 08:16 AM

Tks for the info. I have actually used Color Catchers in a quilt so I always look for them after I wash a load of fabrics. Depending on the colors I am washing, the catchers come out so pretty. The pin idea is a great one & I'll do that from now on. My washer is not a front load but why take a chance on a high repair bill.

judykay 05-28-2012 08:57 AM

I have never used this type of color catcher. I use the dye grabber that you get at Joann's, it is fabric and you can use it up to 30 times. It looks like a wash cloth and is about the same size.

susanlh 05-28-2012 09:17 AM

I put these into a lingerie bag. This keeps it from going anywhere and I don't care if this bag gets nasty with color.

Also make sure that your dryer vents are cleaned regularly. I had to have mine cleaned and it was a big ball of threads/strings. Cleaner said that I was very lucky I did not have a fire. Now I plan on cleaning every Mother's Day. That way I can always know when needs cleaned.

harrishs 05-28-2012 09:22 AM

Thanks for the warning. I never thought of pinning it to a piece of cloth but will now....

craftymatt2 05-28-2012 01:12 PM

thank you for all the info, i was going to try these, now i will put in the lingerie bag, i have several of those

Jeandrig 05-28-2012 01:44 PM

Thanks for the good information. I was wondering that after we use them the first time on a piece of material, do we need to keep on using them on the same material ever time it's washed? Or does one time do the trick?

peaceandjoy 05-28-2012 01:50 PM

Interesting thread... Good idea to put small items in a mesh bag. DD complains that she's lost a sock or two; I wonder if they've been eaten by the washer? (she wears the ones that don't show in sneakers)

Earlier today I was trying to figure out how long I've had my front loader (Whirlpool Duet). Older DD was in high school when we bought it; she's been out of college for 5 years - so it's at least 10 years old. Never had a problem! Love it - can do larger loads, uses less water and is gentle on clothes. When I do prewash fabrics - which is rare - I don't end up with a ball of strings and tangles.

jcrow 05-28-2012 01:56 PM

I, also, love my front loader. I had top loaders for years and went to a front loader, and you couldn't pay me to go back to a top loader. I've never had a problem with my front loader!!! It saves me quite a bit of money on my water and electric bill!

bglock1 05-28-2012 02:22 PM

My husband is a Sear's appliance repairman and he works on all types of washers. I asked him his preference. He said the front loaders pumps DO get clogged more often and a lot easier than the top loaders. He prefers the top loading machines. However, he said that clothes come out clean no matter which type you use, but the front loaders do tend to have that awful smell after a while. He said its really six of one, half a dozen of the other! Lol He doesn't get more calls from one vs. the other. Just thought I'd pass along a professional's opinion! : )

Marge L. 05-28-2012 02:26 PM

I guess I am a lucky person. I have used color catchers since they've been on and market (at least 10 yrs.) and have never had a problem. I'm knocking on wood. As to the cost, I find that I can use them 3-4 times before disposing of them, unless they get really bad before that.