Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Color challenged...please help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/color-challenged-please-help-t291587.html)

Penster 10-01-2017 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7917530)
I agree about the light brown. I copied your pic and auditioned a few colors for you here it is.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581581[/ATTACH]

That is an awesome tool to use and try out different colors!!! I tried to "edit" my photo and I do not see where I have the ability to do that. Would you share how you accomplished that? And thanks for doing it...I like the blue and the light violet the best!!!

Kassaundra 10-01-2017 04:25 PM

It is the free photo editing that came w/ the computer, paint is what it is called. You choose a color and a paint brush size and can fill in any color you want anywhere in the picture.

Originally Posted by Penster (Post 7917738)
That is an awesome tool to use and try out different colors!!! I tried to "edit" my photo and I do not see where I have the ability to do that. Would you share how you accomplished that? And thanks for doing it...I like the blue and the light violet the best!!!

Gay 10-01-2017 04:53 PM

If you changed the long brown strip on the left to the black/dark brown, it would take focus off the light brown which wouldn't look so out of place.

ptquilts 10-02-2017 03:11 AM

I would go with a medium blue.

ArtsyOne 10-02-2017 03:17 AM

Once you choose your colour, I would make it a narrow stop border rather than the same width as your black sashings.

bjchad 10-02-2017 03:38 AM

I'm going to buck the trend and say lemon yellow, matching the yellow flowers.

SusieQOH 10-02-2017 03:47 AM

I agree that the brown does not enhance it- and to me it looks goldish- I love those flowers- my choice would be the darker blue.

sprice 10-02-2017 04:23 AM

I'm for blue also. Isn't it wonderful to be able to get so many thoughtful opinions here on the QB.

Onebyone 10-02-2017 04:49 AM

I would take off the dark sashings on the blocks. Small print fabric looks best most of the time when it's floating so a border of the same color as the background would be my choice. Then frame that with a colored binding. To keep the squares of fabric interesting I would set them on point using the same background color fabric as he quilt.

bearisgray 10-02-2017 04:51 AM

Is the shaded ombre fabric going to be your outside border?

I can - sort of - see why you chose it - it does pick up the red, blue, and purple colors of the flowers.

The following is MY opinion only:

I think the ombre looks very "heavy" and "grubby/murky" compared to the freshness and lightness of the floral print - which I like.

The outside border print makes me think of sunsets reflecting off dark water.

I also think the black (?) or is it dark brown (?) framing the out side squares is "heavy" with the floral print.

If I block off the dark framed squares and the ombre border fabric, the tan/gold looks better to me than the black or border print - because it is "lighter" feeling and the tone is closer to what the flowers are.

If it was mine, I think I might consider using some green that is similar to the darker green tones in the floral print - that would "anchor" the floral print and still not look "heavy" or "murky"

What were your thoughts for the binding?

Again - only my opinion. I don't know how much fabric you have available - or your thoughts on a total reworking of the project.

Bottom line - to me, the gold/tan (by itself) looks good with the floral print. Or possibly, replace the gold with a green, and replace the black with the tan/gold, and find something else for the outside border.

I do like the floral print. It's bright, cheerful, and fresh looking.