Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   colors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/colors-t243315.html)

Doggramma 03-16-2014 06:53 PM

I prefer color coordination. Almost my whole house is done in autumn colors, so I tend to gravitate towards those colors. Lately though, I seem to be rather obsessed with lime green, purples and dark raspberry. I must be in a mid-life color crisis.

lclang 03-17-2014 04:46 AM

If you are making a quilt for you, use the colors you like. If you are making for someone special, use colors they like. If you are making for charity, use what you have in colors that appeal to you. It is more difficult to work in colors you don't care for.

bigsister63 03-17-2014 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by lclang (Post 6630665)
If you are making a quilt for you, use the colors you like. If you are making for someone special, use colors they like. If you are making for charity, use what you have in colors that appeal to you. It is more difficult to work in colors you don't care for.

I agree!!!!! Make a quit in the colors people like so it will be used and not put away!!!!!

just_the_scraps_m'am 03-17-2014 05:59 AM

doesn't scrappy answer all the color dilemmas? it does for me!

ManiacQuilter2 03-17-2014 06:09 AM

We are such a diversified group of women that you can't put any restrictions on what each person prefers. I do like working with what is within my color preference and my winning quilts have shown that. It is difficult to work on something that we do not find pleasing. Some may have the gift to do scrappy while I am always struggling with that aspect. I do try to make quilts that are pleasing to my friends. I want my quilts to be loved but I hope they are on the Antique Roadshow in 2150 !! :)

AliKat 03-17-2014 06:39 AM

Since I wanted my son to love his wedding quilt I had him choose the fabric and all. The quilt is on the bed. Objective obtained.

MargeD 03-17-2014 10:44 AM

Generally, I make quilts in colors that I like, although I do occasionally stray, even making a brown quilt from a purchased kit, brown is not one of my favorite colors; however, it goes with our current couch. When making family reunion quilts every 2 years, I pick a color, ask my family to send fabric in that color and then work with what I've received, which can occasionally be a real challenge. My DDIL has asked me to make a quilt to go with their new king size bed and with the paint colors they have picked out. I will ask her for the paint chips she showed me, so I can do something they will like, although she hasn't requested a certain pattern. Before our darling Zoe was born, Jen picked out a couple fabrics, and asked me to make a quilt for her with matching curtains. They seem to like every thing I have made them, especially the appliqued and pieced quilt I made for our DGD Zoe for her big girl quilt, which I gave her at Christmas. My DS commented that he thought it was the best quilt I had ever done, which made all the work I put into it worth it, even working around rotator cuff surgery in May.

irishrose 03-17-2014 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by lclang (Post 6630665)

Why would I not use the colors that a recipient likes when I know who the quilt is going to??? Donation quilts are different, but not planned gifts. For me, I can do a scrappy in my rooms, but other than that, it had better coordinate with red in the living room and family room, coral in the kitchen, etc.

crafty pat 03-17-2014 11:09 AM

As a interior designer I make quilts I gift that go with the color's that go well with the rooms they will be used in. The ones I just make for the enjoyment of quilting I use the colors I think looks best with the pattern. Someone always just loves it and I give it to them. But for myself I never have got to keep but one and it goes with my colors in my bedroom. I am going to make one for my extra bedroom that I will have to change the colors in the room to match the quilt.

loisf 03-17-2014 11:52 AM

If possible, I always consider the color preferences of my recipient when I make a quilt. With my fussy daughter, I even had her choose the fabric. Some folks are very particular (I know I am), and others, not so much. I would never spend the time and money on a quilt they might not like. When I don't know their preferences, I try to choose colors/patterns that most people would like.