Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Confession of a quilter, I'm more than guilty! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/confession-quilter-im-more-than-guilty-t148099.html)

quiltsRfun 08-26-2011 02:13 PM

That was a hard lesson to learn. Actually, I think you did the right thing. I've had a few knitting projects that turned out less than I'd hoped for. I can't tell you the great sense of relief I felt when I got rid of them.

hulahoop1 08-26-2011 02:16 PM

I did a block swap once and had so much fun participating. But I was so disappointed in what I received back that they all got tossed. Didn't even attempt to sew them together into a quilt top.

susie-susie-susie 08-26-2011 02:17 PM

I recently took a Bargello class. When I started to put it together, I decided I didn't like any of the colors I picked. At least I didn't like them together. I mentioned to another in the class that I was going to throw it away. She kept saying that she would finish it. I gave it to her, and never saw it again. I think throwing it away is better than looking at it and feeling guilty and hating it.
Sue

ube quilting 08-26-2011 02:26 PM

What you actually threw away was the instructor that failed you. She was wrapped up in this quilt and you could never get her out. You did the right thing to get rid of her. Sometimes it just has to be. And in the end you did at least have a learning experience from it all. :thumbup:
peace

nyelphaba 08-26-2011 02:27 PM

I tossed a quilt top I hated. It was a mystery quilt through my guild. I didn't enjoy cutting it out, I hated sewing it together - and so I tossed it. Life is to short to have to waste my time working on something that annoys me - in the name of a hobby. Move on to something which brings you some enjoyment.

MellieKQuilter 08-26-2011 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by nyelphaba
I tossed a quilt top I hated. It was a mystery quilt through my guild. I didn't enjoy cutting it out, I hated sewing it together - and so I tossed it. Life is to short to have to waste my time working on something that annoys me - in the name of a hobby. Move on to something which brings you some enjoyment.

AMEN!

quiltsRfun 08-26-2011 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by nyelphaba

Amen to that!

collady 08-26-2011 02:46 PM

I hurt for you. I almost used a favorite fabric in a mystery quilt, but changed my mind at the last minute. I am so glad I did. It was the most awful quilt I have ever made. It was just plain UGLY! I did finish it and donated it to a charity. The person who received it absolutely loves it. So I guess the quilt wasn't that bad. I am just glad I changed fabrics!

Murphy 08-26-2011 02:50 PM

Amen (smile). Ditto.

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
That was a hard lesson to learn. Actually, I think you did the right thing. I've had a few knitting projects that turned out less than I'd hoped for. I can't tell you the great sense of relief I felt when I got rid of them.

Kristin in ME 08-26-2011 03:23 PM

Oh, dear. My second bed-sized quilt. I found a floral fabric that was so beautiful. I came up with a pattern to feature it and planned to quilt feather wreaths over the large open blocks between dark green chain. I thought it would look like a trellis. Problem was (the first problem, that is), I didn't have a pattern and really didn't know what I was doing. Mismatched seams and disappearing points everywhere. Little tiny chain blocks. I finally got that son of a gun pieced together and sandwiched and was so excited to start quilting. At that point I still liked it. Soon after I started quilting it, I realized that the quilting didn't show on the floral fabric, which was an especially big blow since I was handquilting it. It was going to look very blah. All the badness of it just started to glare out at me.

I changed the plan from feather wreaths to one giant outline of a heart in the center of those big blocks. I started to hate the whole thing, but kept plugging away anyway. (I bought fabric for, and abandoned, a couple of other quilts before this one. DH was giving me the evil eye.) Eventually I hated it so much that I put it in a trash bag and stashed it away in the attic.

Last year, I pulled it out and gave it to my sister. She kept it for a while- then gave it back, darn it. Back to the attic.

The thing is, it was supposed to be for my little girl and she really liked it (she didn't know any better!).

I pulled it out recently to re-assess the situation. I think I've come up with a quilting compromise that I can live with (will just have to pull out that one feather wreath), so it's now on the list of things to finish. DD has moved on and wants me to make her a different quilt, but at least it will be done and will keep somebody warm in the winter!