Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Confession of a quilter, I'm more than guilty! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/confession-quilter-im-more-than-guilty-t148099.html)

Jim's Gem 08-26-2011 03:31 PM

I have done several Mysteries with my quilting friends at church. However the person who picks the Mystery knows what it is and which fabrics go where and usually helps the rest of us with where to use each fabric. It has been fun!

peaceandjoy 08-26-2011 03:33 PM

Pitched one for the first time a few months ago. I took a class for OBW through the guild I belong go. Fortunately, there was no charge for the class, and I got the fabric on sale.

I had all of the rows done, it was on my design wall for weeks, but I just hated it. At first I thought it was the fabric I used, but I've since looked at lots of them and I just don't like them.

After a while, I just decided to give myself permission to pitch it and that's what I did. Didn't try to save any of the fabric, just tossed the whole bit. Ahh, a weight off my shoulders!

I have done a few mysteries, and some I ended up liking more than others, but I've never disliked it enough to toss it.

MellieKQuilter 08-26-2011 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
Pitched one for the first time a few months ago. I took a class for OBW through the guild I belong go. Fortunately, there was no charge for the class, and I got the fabric on sale.

I had all of the rows done, it was on my design wall for weeks, but I just hated it. At first I thought it was the fabric I used, but I've since looked at lots of them and I just don't like them.

After a while, I just decided to give myself permission to pitch it and that's what I did. Didn't try to save any of the fabric, just tossed the whole bit. Ahh, a weight off my shoulders!

Thank goodness I am not the only one! I am not fond of the OBW either... I dont mind the ones that are sashed... but still. Not a fav. So glad I am not alone!!

seamstome 08-26-2011 03:34 PM

Okay so we are sharing disasters.....Mine was a panel done with highloft that I tried to pillowcase BEFORE I quilted it. Can you tell I was a beginner?

Raggiemom 08-26-2011 04:07 PM

I have tossed a couple baby size ones that were terrible. Others that I didn't like I finished and gave away.

purplemem 08-26-2011 05:01 PM

Yesterday, I made a dog quilt out of a baby quilt I had made as a gift. When I went to quilt the baby quilt,, the back side had all kinds of wrinkles where I had not pressed well. My dh was going to take the stitches out for me...well, we waited a few months and I figured that wasn't going to happen.

Yesterday I enclosed the quilt inside a blanket (fleece) and then quilted it all in channels. The dogs have a soft fleece padded bed for the living room floor, and I no longer look at the horrible quilting.

patski 08-26-2011 06:15 PM

I don't like mystery quilts for the same reason. I don't mind doing a mystery block but I want to know what is going on so I can choose the fabric that I want to use

NJ Quilter 08-26-2011 06:47 PM

A friend gave me a partially quilted quilt if I wanted to finish it. Otherwise donate it somewhere because she couldn't stand it any more. I tried. Got to certain points and couldn't make myself complete it either. It's sitting in the closet for one of those days when I have nothing else to work on. Otherwise it will get donated somewhere. Don't sweat it. It's a live and learn situation. I've not done a mystery quilt but I'm surprised that they didn't tell you which fabrics would be dominant. Maybe I'm just uneducated on mystery quilts????

Phannie1 08-26-2011 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by alikat110
I've got one in the back of my closet....not brave enough to toss yet!!!

Give it to a shelter or nursing home. The quilt can still help someone keep warm in the winter and in the end, give you peace.

lovingmama 08-26-2011 08:00 PM

I'm glad to see, I wasn't the only one, throwing a quilt away. :-D