Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Confession of a quilter, I'm more than guilty! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/confession-quilter-im-more-than-guilty-t148099.html)

chaskaquilter 08-27-2011 04:30 AM

Yes, I've thrown away a quilt I had in the back of the closet for years. At the same time I gave away a complete set of Dear Jane Blocks of the Month. I gave these to a quilt guild. The gal said they would do the blocks and auction the quilt for charity. I can't tell you how good I felt after shedding these two quilts. A weight off my sholders. As I get older I find that decluttering makes life so much easier.

plmsmith 08-27-2011 04:36 AM

I haven't tossed any but the dogs like them!

AprilG 08-27-2011 04:41 AM

When you hate what you have done, someone else might not! When in doubt, give it to charity. I know it is a lot of work, but someone needs it.

I have a quilt that I am told should be thrown away as there is no help for it. Well, I don't believe it. It was my grandma's quilt made by her mother!. It is ragged and faded and stained. But, I love it! It hangs on my wall in my sewing room and reminds me why I am making quilts now. For posterity! If anyone know how to help, please let me know.

Originally Posted by alikat110
I've got one in the back of my closet....not brave enough to toss yet!!!

juliea9967 08-27-2011 05:13 AM

I have thrown a couple of quilts away. The first was a paper pieced quilt that looked great until I started sewing the rows together, then it looked awful. I didn't have enough contrast, and it wasn't worth saving.
The second one was a redwork quilt (red and white) that was really a lot of work. It had over 300 half square triangles and a lot of embroidered squares. I finished it up by putting red rick rack all around the outer edge prior to binding. I really liked the way it looked. I washed it to get it ready to send my sister. The whole thing came out pink and red. It was awful. Someone told me about a product that would remove the excess die. I can't remember the name but I had to wash it again in the hottest water available. It did remove most of the excess die. In fact, it worked so good I decided to wash it in that stuff again. I figured one more wash would get out all of the pink. If I had read the directions properly I would have realized that you can only wash it once with this stuff. The whole thing came out sort of a brown/light tan. I immediately threw it away. Some of my friends were upset with me. They said I should have given it to some charity. It was way too ugly to give to anybody. I then proceeded to make another one, just like it, for my sister. This time I also pre washed the rick rack, and it turned out fine. Thank goodness!

SueDor 08-27-2011 05:18 AM

I have not thrown out a quilt, but I have thrown out pieces that were to small to fix. I know that is not the same thing, but now that it is out of the house and it is not threatening you, you can start on something that you know it will make you happy.

grandma Janice 08-27-2011 05:20 AM

yes, been disappointed but gave it to the homeless shelter. Just can't throw one away.

karenpatrick 08-27-2011 05:29 AM

Who wants somthing around to remind us of our shortcomings? Not me. I have thrown away a couple. Others that I didn't care for so much, I gave away. There is always somebody who wants a handmade quilt, no matter what it looks like.

Lizzytish 08-27-2011 05:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did a mystery quilt as a scrappy I was very happy with it and gave it to mom for Christmas a lot of the material was from her and my childhood. She was tickled.

I am also in the process of doing another on on line from Quilters World. This one will also be a scrappy.

I will only use leftovers for a mystery quilt.

I am so sorry that your experience was not a good one.

scrappy mystery quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247318[/ATTACH]

cherylrom 08-27-2011 05:32 AM

I did the opposite. After taking a beginners class that the teacher up and left town in the middle of the 13 weeks and a second teacher giving entirely different instructions, I had a mess of a quilt top with $125 in fabric purchased. Put it in back of closet for couple of years.

One day a quilt shop advertised - "BYOQ" Friday nite sew in LIVE. So I took my quilt top in its very sad way and showed the teacher (and remember now I am paying for this class too). Teacher showed the quilt shop owner and they talked quietly between themselves - then announced "this is not worth spending more time on - I would recommend you justs start over".

But that just made me dig my heals in more - NO WAY was I going to throw away this much time, first experiences and money - so I put it away again for a couple more years.

Then one day found it and determined to finish that first quilt (now the colors are way old fashioned and ugly). I ripped most of it apart, kept the best blocks and my husband helped me with the math to create enough blocks to fill in the bad spots and I finished that stinkin' top!!!

P.S. The blocks were all various sampler blocks - finished size of every block was 11 3/4 inches. What a nightmare, but I am very proud of it. Colors: Forest Green and Mauves/pinks - so ugly now days, but it is my very first quilt. Done in 1986 - since then I've pieced many many tops and now quilt on my Gammill Vision for the public as well as myself.

DETERMINATION and so glad I didn't give up even if it took be 13 years.

gramarraine 08-27-2011 05:34 AM

I do have one quilt top that I haven't had the courage to toss. The pattern looked so fun so I decided to try it. My top was horrible. It went in the extra block box and one of these days will go in the garbage or to the thrift store. Someone else may like it enough to finish it. I still can't figure out why I liked the colors I picked.