Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Confession of a quilter, I'm more than guilty! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/confession-quilter-im-more-than-guilty-t148099.html)

lovingmama 08-26-2011 01:43 PM

Have you ever thrown a quilt away?

Unlike my nature I have. Honestly this is really not me, but I did!

Went to a quilters retreat and used my favorite fabric for a mystery quilt. ( I didn't had a lot of it, but for this project, enough).

I haven't seen this fabric anywhere either, must be a very old, but beautiful fabric. I'm always on the look out for it, but no luck.

I chose all the other colors from this fabric, it was a wonderful combination. (So in my opinion, nothing could go wrong).

The nature of the mystery, it's a mystery!

It came out, that all the other fabric where more dominant than my main fabric. (My favorite). My main fabric was seen only in small areas, which really ticked me off. Urgh!

What made it even more upsetting the instructor knew which one of the fabrics, I wanted to show off more. She didn't say anything, just smiled.

Looking at the finished top, I almost cried. (Which isn't me either)!

Even though I really didn't like it at all. I did started quilting it at home, but never finished it. Every time I looked at it, it made me upset. So it went in to the back corner of my closet and lay there for many years.

Until two years ago, I just threw it away! Couldn't even give it to someone else, because it still made me upset.

So now you can call the quilt police on me. I'm guilty as charged and confess to my crime. :oops:

Do I regret doing it? No way! :P

So what is the lesson I've learned? Don't do a mystery? No!
Just don't use your favorite fabric until you know what it will look like! :thumbup:

Granny Quilter 08-26-2011 01:48 PM

Since I am new to this board, I have no idea what a mystery quilt is.

lovingmama 08-26-2011 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Granny Quilter
Since I am new to this board, I have no idea what a mystery quilt is.

You don't know what the quilt will look like, just get the requirements for yardage.

Also you don't know what you are working on. Once one step is finished, you will get the instructions for the next step, and so on.

Just like baking a cake, you don't know what the endresult will be. You get to know what you need and what goes in the batter next, but don't know which cake you are baking, until the end.

I hope that explains it a little bit.

S D G 08-26-2011 01:55 PM

Sorry that you waisted your favorite fabric. A mystery quilt is when you don't know what it is until it is done. Our quilt club does these every year. They can be fun. But as we just read, they can be upsetting also.

MellieKQuilter 08-26-2011 01:55 PM

Good lesson learned!!

I havent "quite" thrown one away... but... I did go to a class, it was for a QAYG method. I was going to make said quilt and give it to my sis, so i bought fabric just to suit her likes. I HATED IT. I hated the technique, I hated how it looked... It sat and sat and sat. Finally I binded what was done, and gave it to her has a mat for her dog. :) Worked for me and her!!

seamstome 08-26-2011 01:56 PM

I have thrown a couple of them away too. Ugly, poor technique, etc. They are just quilts not sacrd artifacts

alikat110 08-26-2011 02:01 PM

I've got one in the back of my closet....not brave enough to toss yet!!!

Peckish 08-26-2011 02:02 PM

I haven't ever thrown any away, but I have been disappointed a time or two when it didn't turn out like the picture in my head. I gave the tops to a nurse friend who quilts them, then she gave them to terminal patients in the hospital. After they pass, the quilt is given to the family. The quilts may not be what I wanted, but they gave others comfort, and that makes me feel much better.

lovingmama 08-26-2011 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
I haven't ever thrown any away, but I have been disappointed a time or two when it didn't turn out like the picture in my head. I gave the tops to a nurse friend who quilts them, then she gave them to terminal patients in the hospital. After they pass, the quilt is given to the family. The quilts may not be what I wanted, but they gave others comfort, and that makes me feel much better.

That is something I should have done, but like I said, my behavior was so not me.

LisaGibbs 08-26-2011 02:13 PM

The only one I threw away was my Fairy Quilting Godmother. It was aweful. I think because one of my questions I answered "triangles and rotary cutter" I had pieces smaller than a sliver of my fingernails. I was disgusted that I even did a few rips and cuts and very, very bad words.