Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Confessions of a pattern collector (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/confessions-pattern-collector-t288758.html)

Wanabee Quiltin 06-06-2017 05:43 AM

I have been cleaning out my quilt room and I have a book collection that is unbelievable. I started sorting them into two piles: one to keep and one to get rid of. Eventually I hope to sell several that I paid big bucks for. I truly understand your problem.

luvstoquilt301 06-06-2017 06:37 AM

Thank you all for helping to keep our beloved quilt shops in business. I have a small space and must keep stuff in check. BUT lots and lots of free ones on my computer. Once and awhile I go through them and get rid of stuff I no longer want to make.

Doggramma 06-06-2017 08:04 AM

Me too with patterns. I even buy easier ones that I could probably figure out myself. And that goes for books too. I need a 12 step program for kits. I just can't help myself when something cute is all pulled together for ne.

Jane Quilter 06-06-2017 08:23 AM

That is why God made Pinterest. I see something I like and I park it there, in its correct folder. I go back often and when I am ready to make a new project, I pick from there. And, if you look up "Hoarder" in the dictionary, the definition says, "committed quilter"

Annaquilts 06-06-2017 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt (Post 7838131)
Uh oh...I need help! I have a full tote (30 gal I think) of patterns, over 300 quilt books (some I "inherited"), way too much fabric (is there such a thing), gadgets galore....HELP!!! 12 step program anyone? My name is Anita and I'm a.....???? Hoarder? Quiltaholic? Is there a name for me??? LOL

Sounds like you are set! I had to look where you lived to see if I could drop by and play. LOL

madamekelly 06-06-2017 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt (Post 7838131)
Uh oh...I need help! I have a full tote (30 gal I think) of patterns, over 300 quilt books (some I "inherited"), way too much fabric (is there such a thing), gadgets galore....HELP!!! 12 step program anyone? My name is Anita and I'm a.....???? Hoarder? Quiltaholic? Is there a name for me??? LOL

I prefer to refer to myself as a "textile collector". Lol.

marge954 06-06-2017 12:33 PM

You guys made me go look. I have 6 patterns, 70 books, 5 years of Fons and Porter magazines, a binder of about 30 pictures of quilts I think are pretty and 3 years of a couple other quilting magazines. I do take my books and magazines out quite often and look thru them. Most of my print materials have post it notes sticking out of them of quilts "for the future."

RedGarnet222 06-06-2017 12:53 PM

I love anything to do with quilting and have tons of it in my sewing room. (Honestly, it overflows to the guest bed room too) But, I am constantly using tham for charity or gifts of some sort. I don't feel one bit of remorse and I love the hours I have spent buying, scouring quilt stores and shows for them and I remember where I got each and every one.

I am a quilter and enjoy all of the fabric, tools, books and patterns that go with the hobby. Gee, there is nothing wrong with having something ahead of time. Right? It doesn't hurt anyone, isn't a bad habit, or out of control.

Sorry, I just get tired of hearing someone rant about how quilter's have so much. Why not??

NZquilter 06-06-2017 01:08 PM

I thinks so of us like to secretly boast how much stuff we have:) As much as we say it's not true, I do reckon the quilter who dies with the most fabric wins!

costumegirl 06-06-2017 03:08 PM

Dear Quilt Sisters & Brothers!!
I am also a pattern and quilt book "queen"!! I have sooooo much and I know that I will never make as many as I would like........ but oh how I enjoy sitting in a chair with a big mug of tea and piles of books and patterns around me!! I sift through and look at the different designs, mark some with post-it-notes and plan different and new patterns in my mind using them all as inspiration. A little design from one book addded to a design from another book and pattern would look so good together!! Will I make this newly planned quilt? Maybe yes and sometimes probably not but sitting amongst my little piles of books and patterns and learning techniques and thinking of designs is such an enjoyable "quiet time" for me - a comforting retreat from all of the craziness that that goes on in our world today.