Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Confessions of a pattern collector (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/confessions-pattern-collector-t288758.html)

Chester the bunny 06-06-2017 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by costumegirl (Post 7838590)
Dear Quilt Sisters & Brothers!!
I am also a pattern and quilt book "queen"!! I have sooooo much and I know that I will never make as many as I would like........ but oh how I enjoy sitting in a chair with a big mug of tea and piles of books and patterns around me!! I sift through and look at the different designs, mark some with post-it-notes and plan different and new patterns in my mind using them all as inspiration. A little design from one book addded to a design from another book and pattern would look so good together!! Will I make this newly planned quilt? Maybe yes and sometimes probably not but sitting amongst my little piles of books and patterns and learning techniques and thinking of designs is such an enjoyable "quiet time" for me - a comforting retreat from all of the craziness that that goes on in our world today.

Amen to that.

rvsfan 06-07-2017 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 (Post 7837917)
My sister is like that. I prefer to make up my own, or find free stuff online. I can sympathize though. I want every batik known to man (or woman). I do not have the $$ for that so I have to rein myself in.

I also want every batik available and can't afford that but, fortunately, we have a lovely full service LQS which does not carry the current year's fabrics so their fabrics are quite reasonable; like $5.98 a yd and $6.98 for batiks. I do have every one of their batiks. If you live in a fairly large town/city, search around; you may have a similar shop.

redstilettos 06-07-2017 09:08 AM

I am SO glad I am not the only one. Yes, I have purchased the same pattern more than once. It's irritating, but then I try to remember I must Really like it and should push it up on my 'to do' pile more.

I think, like many of you, this is my 'down time', and collecting just makes me realize I should relax more ;)

SherB 06-07-2017 09:02 PM

We all sound so similar! Too many books, patterns, fabrics, gadgets....and still buy more. I figure it is cheaper than a psychiatrist! I do agree with JaneQuilter that Pinterest helps me avoid some purchases by pinning rather than buying.

Murphy224 06-08-2017 02:33 AM

My name is Murphy and I am a ?????. Just like the rest of you.....too many books, patterns, fabric, "stuff". But if I didn't have all this stuff and this "hobby" "obsession" "collection" (not sure what to call it) to play with and occupy my time, would I be on the streets getting into trouble, a heavy drinker or drug user, a convicted felon in prison for some crime, or one of those people who cause traffic jams by driving around all the time looking for something to do???? Or maybe in a mental institution of some kind.
No I am a well adjusted ,healthy, happy, productive member of society who supports our economy and plan to continue until the last breath God gives me.
That is my story and I am sticking to it!!! :thumbup:

popover 06-08-2017 05:49 AM

The patterns won't spoil, right?

redstilettos 06-08-2017 12:45 PM

This was the FUNNIEST response to a post I have read in a long time!!

I agree. Next time hubby looks at me cross-eyed, I am going to use this as my story and I'll stick with it!!

Originally Posted by Murphy224 (Post 7839439)
My name is Murphy and I am a ?????. Just like the rest of you.....too many books, patterns, fabric, "stuff". But if I didn't have all this stuff and this "hobby" "obsession" "collection" (not sure what to call it) to play with and occupy my time, would I be on the streets getting into trouble, a heavy drinker or drug user, a convicted felon in prison for some crime, or one of those people who cause traffic jams by driving around all the time looking for something to do???? Or maybe in a mental institution of some kind.
No I am a well adjusted ,healthy, happy, productive member of society who supports our economy and plan to continue until the last breath God gives me.
That is my story and I am sticking to it!!! :thumbup:

DJ 06-08-2017 09:00 PM

I've been so disappointed in purchased quilt patterns recently. The instructions are vague or confusing. I usually end up having to figure it out on my own anyway.