Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Confessions of a pattern collector (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/confessions-pattern-collector-t288758.html)

redstilettos 06-05-2017 09:04 AM

Confessions of a pattern collector

I think I need a 12 step program.

I can't stop myself from buying patterns when I am out and about and see finished quilts. They are So inspiring!

Just about the time I go....no, Chris.....you have enough....I find one I just "have to have" and end up buying that, too. I don't mind the freebies I find online, but I have purchased many.

I am trying really hard not to buy the "Oh my Gosh" pattern. My "theory" is I can use everything in my stash....so it would be a good deal.

Ugh!

Just.
Can't.
Stop!

NZquilter 06-05-2017 09:27 AM

Funny, I'm the exact opposite, unless it's an appliqué pattern. If I see a pieced quilt in a LQS with a pattern for sale, I will take a photo of it for "later". I have never had to use the photos yet, but my iPod is full of quilts on my bucket list! I guess I figure if one day I want to make it, I'll graph it out myself. But appliqué patterns are differnt; I have a harder time re-designing them.

Boston1954 06-05-2017 09:29 AM

My sister is like that. I prefer to make up my own, or find free stuff online. I can sympathize though. I want every batik known to man (or woman). I do not have the $$ for that so I have to rein myself in.

QuiltnNan 06-05-2017 10:30 AM

i have a collection of patterns, free and otherwise. i don't really see myself using them and ought to take them to the guild's free table. i have a computer file of 'quilt ideas'/bucket list. once in a while i go there. in fact, today, i'm working on one of those. i've been tempted by Omigosh, too. so far, am resisting.

Annaquilts 06-05-2017 10:46 AM

Well the good part is patterns are probably cheaper then fabric. Oh and they take up less space.

NZquilter 06-05-2017 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts (Post 7837951)
Well the good part is patterns are probably cheaper then fabric. Oh and they take up less space.

That is very true!:)

Chester the bunny 06-05-2017 05:09 PM

Redstilletos --- I'm the opposite. I'll buy the fabric and make up a pattern latter.
I did take a peek at that Oh My Gosh pattern, but I don't see why you need a pattern. Is it for color placement? because they seem to be simple itty bitty bitty blocks....
But I do get the obsession believe me.

GEMRM 06-05-2017 05:26 PM

I have an extensive collection of bag/purse/tote patterns! LOL

Geri B 06-05-2017 05:31 PM

How about quilt books...I looked at my book collections today, looking for a redwork for friend....I did find it, but after searching thru all the books, even though they are in type categories or author group..it was overwhelming. And honestly, many of them I have not used......but I know from weeding out on the past, they will have to either be donated or sold at pennies on the dollar. I have stopped buying books altho sometimes I'm still tempted....

ILoveToQuilt 06-05-2017 05:42 PM

Uh oh...I need help! I have a full tote (30 gal I think) of patterns, over 300 quilt books (some I "inherited"), way too much fabric (is there such a thing), gadgets galore....HELP!!! 12 step program anyone? My name is Anita and I'm a.....???? Hoarder? Quiltaholic? Is there a name for me??? LOL