Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cooky cutter appliques (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cooky-cutter-appliques-t56146.html)

Carol J. 07-27-2010 06:37 AM

I used a heart shaped cookie cutter, traced it on freezer paper, cut it out, ironed it to the quilt, sewed around the heart, then removed it and pressed it to another spot. If you don't use too much heat, the shape can be used many times.
Carol J.

puck116 07-27-2010 08:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
That is a great idea. Also, if I need a certain size, I download from the computer graphics and resize. I print it and trace onto cardboard. I've done this for leaves, hearts, flowers and curves. The card board doesn't last long from so many tracings, but I can get the size I need for that project. I quilt all my quilts on my DSM, up to a king size quilt. See pics of my daughter's king size quilt, quilted on my Bernina QE440. I made up the quilted block designs myself. Quilting is one of my favorite parts and I hope to have a mid arm frame setup someday.

My daughter's quilt on my king size bed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70116[/ATTACH]

detail of quilting done with carboard heart template
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70118[/ATTACH]

my favorite quilted block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70119[/ATTACH]

Janis 07-27-2010 12:39 PM

puck 116, I love your pink quilt!!! My grand daughter would just love it too, as at almost 4, her favorite color is pink. Your quilting is great!!! And you did it on A DSM?!! I love your choice of how you quilted your blocks too. What pattern did you use for the Quilt? I'd like to make one with that kind of style. Thanks, Janis

sewmom 07-27-2010 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
I did this on my last baby quilt. I used a ducky cookie cutter to trace around. It came out great!

i like your ducky quilt. i bought the same fabric to make one. i even bought the pink line. made the boy one. i think i even had the same dark blue. i really like the pattern you used.

dotlette 07-27-2010 04:29 PM

GREAT IDEA I LIKE THIS AND WILL TRY IT

puck116 07-28-2010 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Janis
puck 116, I love your pink quilt!!! My grand daughter would just love it too, as at almost 4, her favorite color is pink. Your quilting is great!!! And you did it on A DSM?!! I love your choice of how you quilted your blocks too. What pattern did you use for the Quilt? I'd like to make one with that kind of style. Thanks, Janis

Thank you, the pattern is called "Turning Twenty" made w/20 FQ's. Made in 2008. I added the borders to get the size I wanted. Oh! and my DD is almost 28. When I started quilting 5 yrs ago, she asked for an all pink quilt. At first I said "No way" because when she gets married no guy is going to want an all pink quilt. You see I gave in. I did buy extra border fabric and put aside, so I could cut the quilt in half and add borders to get 2 twin quilts. She'll probably have boys. She isn't even engaged yet.

Janis 07-28-2010 05:16 AM

puck 116, Then I'd just let her enjoy it now. If and when she marries, she could use it on a guest bed or as a wall hanging or folded on a bed. Maybe she'll marry a guy who doesn't care if it is pink. I think I do have that pattern, Turning 20, but haven't used it yet. I've been using patterns I've found on the net instead, like D9P, and D9P,The nest Generation. I really like those 2 patterns.

ToucanSam 07-28-2010 05:20 AM

Great idea! :)

zz-pd 07-29-2010 09:10 PM

This is a great idea, Thank you so very much, and God bless. Penny

elsieirene 11-06-2010 09:34 AM

Wat a great idea. I had quite a collection and gave to my daughter in-law not realizing she doesn'to do much baking. So maybe I will reclaim them or purchas in the used store which I frequent often.

Smart gal you are, Elsie