Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cost of LQS Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cost-lqs-fabric-t287926.html)

SuziSew 05-01-2017 11:24 AM

In Northern Indiana the prices are $10-$14 on average, although I do try to buy when I can get a discount or there is a sale. It's the quality over the price...and a matter of supporting local business.

gramajo 05-01-2017 11:53 AM

I'm on a very limited income so try to use my way-too-large stash. When I need fabric, my LQS has fabric at $10.00 to $13.00. They keep track of expenditures and when a certain amount is reached, you get a gift certificate. They have frequent sales also.

toverly 05-01-2017 11:57 AM

$10 - 15 here in Pensacola. But, there are sales tables and sales on certain items each month. Whenever I shop a new LQS when traveling, I usually stick with 1 yard of what I consider "Glorious color", precuts, or new panels. Only once have I seen an entire line that I wish I had purchased. Even then, I wrote the name of the line down and later purchased it online.

Jordan 05-01-2017 12:10 PM

I live in northern Arizona and the cost of fabric from LQS is $12 to $14. Sometimes I can luck out and find what I need on the clearance table.

popover 05-01-2017 12:18 PM

My LQS is Marshals dry goods. I find good quality fabric there any day for usually less than $8 a yard. It doesn't have to have a famous name on it to be good quality fabric.

Quilt30 05-01-2017 12:53 PM

Where are the bargains in fabric.

Jane Quilter 05-01-2017 01:12 PM

three of our LQS have closed. I only have on-line now and it is not fun.

Onebyone 05-01-2017 01:18 PM

I shop at Marshall's Dry Goods fabric distributors. I am spoiled to lower prices. I will buy my other quilting needs like notions, thread, and tools from local shops but not fabric unless it's on clearance. I buy pre cuts online from various online shops.

bkay 05-01-2017 01:37 PM

Most of the quilt shop fabric in this area is $11.99 and $12.99 per yard. The shop I use most has occasional sales. They always have a 40% off sale between Christmas and New Year's and a sale on selected items regularly. There are some fabric "outlets" that carry older, out of print, name brand quilting fabric for $5.00 and $6.00 per yard. If I need solids, I get Kona at JoAnn's with a coupon or at Hobby Lobby. Hobby Lobby is $6.29 for the Kona. I'm in Dallas.

bkay

tessagin 05-01-2017 02:31 PM

LQS have overhead. They have to make a profit. Many have classes and they also go to market to bring fabric to the customers. So yes they are going to charge more than you may on line. There are a few places who don't charge for shipping but think about it. They will make their money somewhere and one way or the other the consumer is going to pay for it just like anyone else. With me it's how soon do I want or need it. Do I have something I can use in the meantime and how motivated am I to get into the sewing room. I buy a lot of eye candy and pay for it but don't always eat it. We all love our stash whether we use it or not!...I prefer to support my LQS. I am sad the one nearest and dearest to me is retiring. Going to my neighbors. She got some "candy" and some wine!!