Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cost of LQS Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cost-lqs-fabric-t287926.html)

popover 05-01-2017 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7815378)
I shop at Marshall's Dry Goods fabric distributors. I am spoiled to lower prices. I will buy my other quilting needs like notions, thread, and tools from local shops but not fabric unless it's on clearance. I buy pre cuts online from various online shops.

Marshall's IS my local shop. Its them---or Walmart.

Boston1954 05-01-2017 03:56 PM

If I see less than $11, I take a good look and see if I want some. I mostly expect about $12 because I love batiks.

lynnie 05-01-2017 06:20 PM

Long Island, New YOrk, about 12.99 to 14.99/yard

Kwiltr 05-01-2017 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 7815420)
LQS have overhead. They have to make a profit. Many have classes and they also go to market to bring fabric to the customers. So yes they are going to charge more than you may on line. There are a few places who don't charge for shipping but think about it. They will make their money somewhere and one way or the other the consumer is going to pay for it just like anyone else. With me it's how soon do I want or need it. Do I have something I can use in the meantime and how motivated am I to get into the sewing room. I buy a lot of eye candy and pay for it but don't always eat it. We all love our stash whether we use it or not!...I prefer to support my LQS. I am sad the one nearest and dearest to me is retiring. Going to my neighbors. She got some "candy" and some wine!!

You've captured the crux of the LQS plight as with many retailers with online competitors for the same products and less overhead, so able to sell at lower prices. It is an unfortunate situation for everyone concerned really, but the reality is, a lot of us are working with a fixed income that is constantly faced with increasing costs in basic needs, like heat, electricity, groceries and health care, squeezing our discretionary funds that we use for our hobbies, at the very least. In Canada, our fabric pricing and notions, are subject to some hefty import taxes and now exchange rates, driving our local prices into the stratosphere. While in a perfect world, we'd all have adequate funds to ignore all of these factors and be able to keep the local retailers adequately funded to keep their doors open and be there for us to meet our needs, the reality is quite the opposite and when the opportunity is available to pick up less expensive items from fabric to groceries that's what I will continue to do be it online or a trip away to a bigger center with better pricing.

sewbizgirl 05-01-2017 06:56 PM

Head to the back of the store, where the nice clearance fabric lives. :o

quiltedsunshine 05-01-2017 07:53 PM

I work at a LQS, where we have Moda (and all the other top brands, including flannels and Shannon Cuddle) 20% off the retail price ($6.98 to $20.49 per yd.) every day. And if there are 5 Saturdays, it's 30% off that day. The boss says we don't make money on selling fabric. We make it on sewing machine sales and repairs. With so many OSMG's (Old Sewing Machine Guys/Gals) retiring, we are getting repairs from farther and farther away. That, and our customer service, has kept us in business since 1958.

copycat 05-02-2017 02:33 AM

When I shop at a LQS, I head to the sale or clearance section first. I also get the newsletter from our LQS to be aware of the specials being offered on notions, fabric and classes. One such offer for newsletter customers is on your birthday month, you receive a one time discount of 25% off a fabric purchase. I have seen fabric not on sale anywhere from 10-12 dollars/yd.

Mitty 05-02-2017 02:50 AM

In Massachusetts it's generally $10-$13 per yard, but one place I know is $14. Being able to bring in swatches and hold them up to the bolts instead of guessing at the colors online makes it worth it to me.

citruscountyquilter 05-02-2017 03:25 AM

In any quilt shop I hit the clearance area first. If I can't find it I ask. Rarely do I find a store without one. If there's nothing there fine but it doesn't hurt to look. Most of my backings come from reduced price fabric at quilt stores. I also purchase regular priced at $10-$12/yard as needed but since I rarely buy all the fabric I need for a quilt at once most of my fabric has been purchased over time from the clearance area. I generally make quilts with many different fabrics in them so I can be flexible about the amount of fabric. If I run out of one then generally there is another I can substitute. I really like the quality of fabric at a quilt shop in addition to the service and supporting a small business owner.

ckcowl 05-02-2017 03:53 AM

Location matters, no idea where you are but there is a broad range of prices in quilt shop locals. Here in northern Michigan the averages I've found are $10-$13 a yard . Sales can be found and sometimes I find a shop still carrying fabric at $8.95 - $9.50.
Perhaps you could search on line for shops in your area and see what their prices are.