Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cut resistant gloves (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cut-resistant-gloves-t302140.html)

AlvaStitcher 01-09-2019 05:00 PM

Cut resistant gloves

Does anyone use cut-resistant gloves other than Fons & Porter Klutz gloves? They are a little pricier than some others I see on Amazon for food preparation. I don’t know how flexible the gloves are. Although I guess the cost of the Klutz gloves is considerably less expensive than a trip to the ER.

coffeecozy 01-09-2019 06:00 PM

I picked up a pair of the food prep ones to try. They didn't have the grippy dots to help you hold the fabric like the klutz ones have. The klutz gloves are a lot better.

grammasharon 01-09-2019 07:16 PM

I would like to know how klutz gloves fit. I can only find medium and large sizes and feel I probably need a small size. Having just cut a nasty cut on my index finger I would like to try them. I you use them can you tell me how they fit ad are they cumbersome to use. TIA Sharon

quiltingshorttimer 01-09-2019 07:52 PM

I got a F & P Klutz glove at Tues Morning about 2 yrs ago--but hear that other people use the safety gloves from Harbor Freight.

Moira in N.E. England 01-10-2019 01:40 AM

I will be following this thread with interest. I’m in the UK a Klutz glove is expensive here - about £25. ($32)
I would be interested to hear what other UK members use.

AlvaStitcher 01-10-2019 05:37 AM

I guess a trip to Harbor Freight is in order then to try their pair on, if possible. My concern would be how flexible they are. Not sure why not having the gripper dots would be a major issue since I would be holding on to the ruler with the gloved hand.

Mitty 01-10-2019 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by grammasharon (Post 8189778)
I would like to know how klutz gloves fit. I can only find medium and large sizes and feel I probably need a small size. Having just cut a nasty cut on my index finger I would like to try them. I you use them can you tell me how they fit ad are they cumbersome to use. TIA Sharon

I don’t find my F&P Klutz glove at all cumbersome. In fact after using it the first few weeks I got to the point that it started to feel weird if I didn’t have it on while cutting. The fingers of the glove are longer than my fingers, but that doesn’t interfere with my using them or with my cutting (though even with the glove on I try to keep the blade well away from my fingers). It’s very loose around my hand, but comfortable (not loose) around the fingers. I ordered a size large, because I figured too big was better than too small. My hands are probably pretty close to average in size for a woman.

The glove would be too cumbersome for any activity other than cutting, so sometimes there’s a lot of putting in on and taking it off (and hunting for it under fabrics on the cutting table). But it’s a habit now and doesn’t seem like a big deal to slip it on and off.

The gripper dots work well, and I’ve had it for several years and it hasn’t fallen apart. In short, the only reservation I have about the thing is its high price. It’s expensive, and it’s only for glove. The reason I caved in and bought it was because when I went to Harbor Freight and asked where the cut-resistant gloves were, the salesperson acted l’d asked for a polka dot unicorn, saying they didn’t have any and not seeming to know what they were, then directing me to where they had some work gloves, which I’d already seen and none of which were cut-resistant. I wasn’t sure I could find any sized for women anyway, and men’s gloves are way too big on me, so I just ordered the glove online.

The glove hasn’t really been put to the test yet, because I haven’t (yet?) run over my fingers with the cutter. I might like it less if I end up running around without my fingertips. Of course, it’s only cut-resistant, not cut-proof, so I don’t count on it to protect me completely and still give my cutter the caution and respect it deserves and think of the glove as more of a back-up plan for the day when I slip up.

SillySusan 01-10-2019 06:59 AM

I ordered the restaurant gloves yesterday from Walmart. I figure that I'll get used to wearing them after a while. Using them will be much better than whacking off a finger! When they get here, I'll let y'all know how they do. I don't think the little gripper dots are necessary because my fingers don't have them and I've been cutting fabric for many years w/o dots.

Thank you, ladies who told us about your experiences of accidents you suffered. You saved many of us from the same fate. God bless you!

NoraB 01-10-2019 08:40 AM

I love my Klutz glove and this is my second one. I wore thru the finger tips on the first one, but it lasted over 10 years, so worth the price. I think the rubber dots are important..they keep the ruler you are using from slipping around. Good luck in finding one. I usually look at Tuesday morning, on-line for sales and free shipping, etc. I think when I purchased my second one, I used a coupon from LQS.

Onebyone 01-10-2019 11:36 AM

I bought some from Amazon. They were for butchers. I bought the XX Small and they fit fine. No problem with slipping on the ruler. I have the F&P ones and they are nice. Either one or any one, just USE it.