Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cut resistant gloves

Cut resistant gloves

Does anyone use cut-resistant gloves other than Fons & Porter Klutz gloves? They are a little pricier than some others I see on Amazon for food preparation. I donít know how flexible the gloves are. Although I guess the cost of the Klutz gloves is considerably less expensive than a trip to the ER.

I picked up a pair of the food prep ones to try. They didn't have the grippy dots to help you hold the fabric like the klutz ones have. The klutz gloves are a lot better.

Blog Entries
    I would like to know how klutz gloves fit. I can only find medium and large sizes and feel I probably need a small size. Having just cut a nasty cut on my index finger I would like to try them. I you use them can you tell me how they fit ad are they cumbersome to use. TIA Sharon
    In my dream world, fabric is free and sewing makes you thin.

Sharon

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I got a F & P Klutz glove at Tues Morning about 2 yrs ago--but hear that other people use the safety gloves from Harbor Freight.

I will be following this thread with interest. I’m in the UK a Klutz glove is expensive here - about £25. ($32)
    I would be interested to hear what other UK members use.
    Last edited by Moira in N.E. England; 01-10-2019 at 01:42 AM.

I guess a trip to Harbor Freight is in order then to try their pair on, if possible. My concern would be how flexible they are. Not sure why not having the gripper dots would be a major issue since I would be holding on to the ruler with the gloved hand.

Quote Originally Posted by grammasharon View Post
    I would like to know how klutz gloves fit. I can only find medium and large sizes and feel I probably need a small size. Having just cut a nasty cut on my index finger I would like to try them. I you use them can you tell me how they fit ad are they cumbersome to use. TIA Sharon
    I donít find my F&P Klutz glove at all cumbersome. In fact after using it the first few weeks I got to the point that it started to feel weird if I didnít have it on while cutting. The fingers of the glove are longer than my fingers, but that doesnít interfere with my using them or with my cutting (though even with the glove on I try to keep the blade well away from my fingers). Itís very loose around my hand, but comfortable (not loose) around the fingers. I ordered a size large, because I figured too big was better than too small. My hands are probably pretty close to average in size for a woman.

The glove would be too cumbersome for any activity other than cutting, so sometimes thereís a lot of putting in on and taking it off (and hunting for it under fabrics on the cutting table). But itís a habit now and doesnít seem like a big deal to slip it on and off.

The gripper dots work well, and Iíve had it for several years and it hasnít fallen apart. In short, the only reservation I have about the thing is its high price. Itís expensive, and itís only for ONE glove. The reason I caved in and bought it was because when I went to Harbor Freight and asked where the cut-resistant gloves were, the salesperson acted líd asked for a polka dot unicorn, saying they didnít have any and not seeming to know what they were, then directing me to where they had some work gloves, which Iíd already seen and none of which were cut-resistant. I wasnít sure I could find any sized for women anyway, and menís gloves are way too big on me, so I just ordered the glove online.

The glove hasnít really been put to the test yet, because I havenít (yet?) run over my fingers with the cutter. I might like it less if I end up running around without my fingertips. Of course, itís only cut-resistant, not cut-proof, so I donít count on it to protect me completely and still give my cutter the caution and respect it deserves and think of the glove as more of a back-up plan for the day when I slip up.

I ordered the restaurant gloves yesterday from Walmart. I figure that I'll get used to wearing them after a while. Using them will be much better than whacking off a finger! When they get here, I'll let y'all know how they do. I don't think the little gripper dots are necessary because my fingers don't have them and I've been cutting fabric for many years w/o dots.

Thank you, ladies who told us about your experiences of accidents you suffered. You saved many of us from the same fate. God bless you!

I love my Klutz glove and this is my second one. I wore thru the finger tips on the first one, but it lasted over 10 years, so worth the price. I think the rubber dots are important..they keep the ruler you are using from slipping around. Good luck in finding one. I usually look at Tuesday morning, on-line for sales and free shipping, etc. I think when I purchased my second one, I used a coupon from LQS.

I bought some from Amazon. They were for butchers. I bought the XX Small and they fit fine. No problem with slipping on the ruler. I have the F&P ones and they are nice. Either one or any one, just USE it.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Moira in N.E. England View Post
    I will be following this thread with interest. I’m in the UK a Klutz glove is expensive here - about £25. ($32)
    I would be interested to hear what other UK members use.
    Moira I had ones like these recommended on a butchery course I did and so already had them in the house.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NoCry-Cut-R...Butchers+glove

I haven’t felt the need to use gloves when rotary cutting but just tested these out and had no problem at all. Just search forbutchers gloves.

Blog Entries
    RJ those look like they at least fit well too. the ones on tv quilt shows do not. that would drive me crazy.

I just bought the Large size..........4 for $12.99............Price: for med was $1 cheaper. . . from Amazon, butchers glove.....I used the amazon link above and it was in English Pounds, so I just typed in Amazon USA for butchers gloves and found a big selection.
    I am getting klutzier as I get older and will try to prevent accidents in the sewing room and kitchen.
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Blog Entries
    read reviews too. i was thinking about it but changed my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by RJLinkletter View Post
    Moira I had ones like these recommended on a butchery course I did and so already had them in the house.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NoCry-Cut-R...Butchers+glove

I haven’t felt the need to use gloves when rotary cutting but just tested these out and had no problem at all. Just search forbutchers gloves.

Thanks for letting me know. Will be ordering one ASAP!

And now a Public Service Announcement from your friendly lifetime restaurant worker. Cut resistant glives really do work. (They're made of Kevlar, did you know that?) But not if they get a hole, because Murphy's Law *will* make sure that's where the knife goes. Our GM had to go in the office and simmer for a while the day Irma did just that, so she wouldn't scream at her and then fire her. Never seen her that mad. Also, we do a glove sandwich to keep them clean: plastic glove on the inside and outside, cutting glove in the middle. And it goes on the hand that is *not* holding the cutter. Yeah, who in the world could screw that up? Well, Colin was the most recent one...

So there's my report from "the rest of the world."

Amazon has them for $16.40-16.60. it is worth the money. you would spend that much on a small cone of thread

It makes no sense to me to use a very sharp dangerous tool and not use a safety device to prevent the most obvious of accident that could happen and does happen often to many careful users. If you don't like the glove then use Quilter's Slidlock. No hassle and no suction.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I don’t use gloves but that may change if I get so that I stat having problems with cutting.

Believe me, a rotary cutter is very dangerous. I had twice cut the index finger on my left hand, and my son pitched a fit. He told me that regardless of the cost, I needed to order the safety gloves. I think mine were purchased off of Amazon (my son ordered them for me), providing a glove for both hands, at a cost including shipping of $18. They do work -- and I'm happy to say I haven't had any more cuts from the rotary cutter. Those cuts I had were pretty bad cuts which required butterfly closures to close the cut. It isn't worth taking a chance -- by all means get some ASAP!

I don’t use gloves but that may change if I get so that I stat having problems with cutting.
    Please don't wait until you slice your finger. It's not worth the pain and trauma.

I too had a very nasty cut with a rotary cutter and still have nerve damage two years later. I bought these ones from Lee Valley tools and also bought some for a couple of friends who quilt. I was quite shaken to try cutting again but after running my rotary cutter over these a number of times in all directions, I am back to cutting comfortably. These ones have grippy dots and fit very well.

(US link) http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,42207,45887
    (Canadian link) http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=72972&cat=1,42207,45887

[QUOTE=SillySusan;8190010]I ordered the restaurant gloves yesterday from Walmart. I figure that I'll get used to wearing them after a while. Using them will be much better than whacking off a finger! When they get here, I'll let y'all know how they do. I don't think the little gripper dots are necessary because my fingers don't have them and I've been cutting fabric for many years w/o dots.

The gloves came today. They are great! They fit perfectly and are surprisingly comfortable! Each (2 pairs) can fit on either hand so all are useful. A great deal at $8.99 and postage free!! I ran the rotary blade over one to test it... without my hand in it. It works... no cuts! I cut a few blocks using one. No problems at all. Very good. Let's keep safe, y'all!

I use the No Cry brand. Fits like a....well, like a glove.