Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cut resistant gloves >

Cut resistant gloves

Cut resistant gloves

Old 01-11-2019, 07:04 PM

I don’t use gloves but that may change if I get so that I stat having problems with cutting.
Please don't wait until you slice your finger. It's not worth the pain and trauma.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:49 PM

I too had a very nasty cut with a rotary cutter and still have nerve damage two years later. I bought these ones from Lee Valley tools and also bought some for a couple of friends who quilt. I was quite shaken to try cutting again but after running my rotary cutter over these a number of times in all directions, I am back to cutting comfortably. These ones have grippy dots and fit very well.

(US link) http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,42207,45887
(Canadian link) http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=72972&cat=1,42207,45887

Old 01-12-2019, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
I ordered the restaurant gloves yesterday from Walmart. I figure that I'll get used to wearing them after a while. Using them will be much better than whacking off a finger! When they get here, I'll let y'all know how they do. I don't think the little gripper dots are necessary because my fingers don't have them and I've been cutting fabric for many years w/o dots.
The gloves came today. They are great! They fit perfectly and are surprisingly comfortable! Each (2 pairs) can fit on either hand so all are useful. A great deal at $8.99 and postage free!! I ran the rotary blade over one to test it... without my hand in it. It works... no cuts! I cut a few blocks using one. No problems at all. Very good. Let's keep safe, y'all!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-12-2020 at 03:28 AM. Reason: fix quote formatting
Old 01-12-2019, 08:36 PM

I use the No Cry brand. Fits like a....well, like a glove.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I use the No Cry brand. Fits like a....well, like a glove.
Thank you for this info. I purchased a glove - there were 2 in the bag - I thought there would be 1 - and they fit my hand perfectly. Safety first, like folks say here. I never want to wound myself in my sewing haven.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:33 AM

Whatever you choose, everyone needs a cutting glove! I cringe when I watch the quilting shows and see how they zip through cutting without a glove, often in distorted positions so they don't have to rearrange the fabric and template. I don't think any glove is 100% cut-proof, but if nothing else, the act of taking a moment to put on a glove before cutting is a reminder to slow down and pay attention to what you're doing. I use Fons and Porters -- and yes, be sure to get the size that fits you best.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:19 PM

I posted a unique solution to this back in 2016. My son was a Coast Guard Officer. For their drug searches and the like, they wore CG issued gloves that could not be cut by sharp implements and/or weapons. When he left for civilian life, he offered me his gloves. My post indicated the brand but I am in the process of moving and can't remember. When I searched for the post which included the information, it indicated that the page was not found.
Bottom line, they are needless to say and I feel totally protected in them. They are very easy to work with them on and comfortable.

Whatever you decide, the gloves!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-15-2020 at 03:15 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-15-2020, 04:33 AM

mhollifiel - here is one of your old posts with the information.

Originally Posted by mhollifiel View Post
Last weekend I cut a thick bacon slice off my left forefinger while rotary cutting. Fortunately my DIL is a physician and I live with them so I was in good hands. Still it took three days for the bleeding to stop when changing the dressing since it was so deep. YES, it HURTS!
Here's the really, really dumb admission I have to make. My son was in the Coast Guard until this summer and he gave me his Kevlar lined gloves to keep my hands safe while cutting fabric. The label says that they are Hatch SGK100 gloves and, now that I finally got around to googling them, they are used both in the military and law enforcement. Apparently they are capable of handling even the blades of knives in confrontations. LSS, I have been wearing them since and they are very flexible and comfortable. I like them much better than the other ones typically sold to quilters for cutting. Yep, had a set of those in the drawer, too. DUH! These Coast Guard issued gloves have a surface that really grips my rulers. I love my son and I'll be wearing his gift for cutting from now on.
Note to anyone out there with cutting gloves in the drawer: They work much better if you WEAR them! Please spare yourself some agony and learn from my mistake.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for everyone who posted. I got a pair this weekend. I don't want to end up in the ER from cutting fabric!!!
Old 06-15-2020, 06:34 AM

I still haven't learned to wear the gloves I bought a pair of the Klutz gloves after I cut my finger to the bone and a trip to the er and 11 external stitches. I could not get use to the feel of the gloves on my hands. This is another reason for going to the Accuquilt GO!. Mind you that was about 25+ years ago I bought them when they first came out and I only tried the gloves for a short time and couldn't get use to them. They're still around here somewhere.