Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   D9P Sliced and Diced (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/d9p-sliced-diced-t95164.html)

AnnieH 01-30-2011 06:26 AM

It looks really fab so far. Have fun putting it together.

happymrs 01-30-2011 06:27 AM

I see you said you sewed all the DP blocks together, then cut it again. I am thinking, cutting the DP blocks, once you have sewn them together individually. Great idea though, love it!

sandraa 01-30-2011 06:42 AM

Great idea. Much nicer this way

Raggiemom 01-30-2011 06:46 AM

I love the colors and the design!

Mariposa 01-30-2011 06:50 AM

Neat idea! Now if you just sew the blocks together, and add a border or two, you'll have a wonderful project! :)

daisyboo9 01-30-2011 06:51 AM

I really love this, would consider doing this myself. I think it doesn't need sashing at all, but I would add two outer boarders, maybe a 3 inch and then a 5 inch.

nance-ell 01-30-2011 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by happymrs
I see you said you sewed all the DP blocks together, then cut it again. I am thinking, cutting the DP blocks, once you have sewn them together individually. Great idea though, love it!

The fabric was cut; the original blocks were done. I knew I could put it together and I'd always be less than thrilled with it. I either had to be creative or I'd never want to use it. I folded the blocks back into a big triangle. Not bad. Folded again to a quarter triangle. Did 4 blocks that way and laid them out. Was happy with it so I took a chance. It's been a lot more work, but in the end, I know I'll be glad I did it.

carolaug 01-30-2011 07:03 AM

Very creative...love the look!

Originally Posted by nance-ell
I wasn't planning to share this until it was complete, but I'm so happy with it I want others to see it too!

This is the project on my wall (finally found an old plastic tablecloth and tacked it to the wall; dh wasn't happy. lol). I thought I was going to do a D9P which I expected to be pretty fast and easy to put together. I cut the fabric from fat quarters in 8 inch strips because I wanted to preserve an 8 inch run in a few of the fabrics (ended up being unnecessary and I have a lot of waste, but live and learn!). When I laid out the D9P, it was okay, but I wasn't wowed!

Soooooo, I sewed my D9P blocks rights sides together and cut point to point in both directions. Yippee! Now I love it, but no quilt police allowed. Everything doesn't line up perfectly, but it's busy enough to not be noticable.

Now for my dilemma: I expected to do a small lap quilt or throw. I have completed the block in the upper left corner of the photo and it's 14 1/2 inches square, so I have a 56 inch complete design area without borders. Now I'm thinking of adding borders and/or some sashing....or maybe turning these blocks on point and adding filler squares to make it bigger. Just curious what others think would be the best way to go.

MTS 01-30-2011 07:04 AM

Lovely (although all that bias would make me crazy)!

I would suggest a border of the darkest green you have in your blocks. I think that is the the darkest color (at least according to the way I see the picture on my monitor). It looks like a solid batik.

The rest of the fabrics are relatively light, and having the dark around them would make the center pop out and "sparkle."

Any type of pieced border, I think, would be too busy, and would compete with the subtle pattern of the blocks. It's busy enough (in a good way), and a busy border would just take away from it.

mommamac 01-30-2011 07:04 AM

Sashing or filler blocks would give it a whole new look. I say keep it as is & add some borders & it'll be stunning.