Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   darling sewing desk (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/darling-sewing-desk-t81921.html)

Ramona Byrd 12-10-2010 03:15 PM

My oldest daughter's first desk was a flat closet door set over 2 small file cabinets, with a yard sale mirror set on the back, all painted. It was cheap, lasted a long time, and was well worth it.

nursie76 12-10-2010 03:17 PM

My husband took an old sewing machine cabinet, cut a whole in the top and even got a lift for the machine so it goes up and down, course a stationary shelf would work just as nicely.

rismstress 12-10-2010 03:43 PM

I bought a white desk at target- about $100- it has a drop down drawer for a computer keyboard- it's great for the scissors, extra needles, etc. Works and looks great. You could put pink knobs on it if you wanted- get them at Home Depot or other hardware store.
Imagination is the key.
Cheryl

Riversong 12-10-2010 04:23 PM

I like to get things at yard sales etc.and fix them up for my little sewing buddy. They will appreciate it more with it being personalized

Aurora 12-11-2010 05:21 AM

This is a good time to check out secondhand shops, antiques malls, peddlers malls. You might find something inexpensive, get some paint, stencils, and customize it yourself. Perhaps not from the jolly dude, but it is always great to get a surprise "just because" gift.

I don't mess around with gifts for those I care about this time of year. If I see something that makes me think of someone during the year, I get it and give it to them. This way my budget doesn't explode or self destruct and I can join in on all the exchanges that take place this time of year.

alleyoop1 12-11-2010 05:34 AM

Check online. We just bought a lamp online that was $80 cheaper than the store and it was shipped for free. It's in our family room and it's beautiful.

QuilterChick 12-11-2010 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by rebeccalr
I decided to get my daughter a sewing desk for Christmas from the jolly man. I went by a store I go to frequently that sells sewing machines hoping that she could tell me what store to go to, instead she led me to the most darling little girls desk. It was white with pink trim and pink knobs. Just adorable! She said, "Let me see what I can do." As she walked away I was just devastated because I was sure she would come back with a price that was $20-40 more than I could spend and I would just have to walk away from it. Well, that didn't happen, because she came back with a price that was HUNDREDS more than I could pay. The desk was $450 with the discount!! Good Lord have mercy it was made out of MDF, not virgin hard wood from the Brazilian rain forest. Thankfully, I could walk away from that desk with no guilt. Is it just me or do you sometimes feel like you are being taken advantage of because you are addicted?

Look in the office supply stores; Office Max, Office Depot, Staples etc. They have plenty of nice solid computer desks that can be used for sewing desks under $200. You can even get a matching file cabinet to put next to it for "accessories", thread etc. Check their catalogs online first, pick out what you like, call and ask if they have it in stock. Saves shopping time. If you have a Target near you, they also have really cute desks, I've seen white ones in there too, very girly.

pojo 12-11-2010 05:50 AM

I'm glad you walked away too.
Go to the second hand stores, house hold sales etc.

And spend the other money on material and quilting notions.

gollytwo 12-11-2010 06:01 AM

The Bernina in my sewing room is on an old desk of my Fathers (1886-1962)
My cutting table is a large hand carved table my best friend's grandparents brought back from Cuba when he retired in the early 1900s.
I always feel surrounded by love in that room.

CarrieAnne 12-11-2010 06:02 AM

You could find one at a second hand store and paint it pink!