Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   darling sewing desk (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/darling-sewing-desk-t81921.html)

rebeccalr 12-11-2010 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by pojo
And spend the other money on material and quilting notions.

Oh goodness!!

quilter41 12-11-2010 06:59 AM

Aurora, doesn't your way take all the fun out of Xmas?

MaggieLou 12-11-2010 07:12 AM

I got a computer desk as Goodwill for $10. It was sturdy but the keyboard shelf wasn't as sturdy as I like with my machine setting on it. I found a sewing machine cabinet at another resale shop for $4.53. Needless to say it followed me home.

117becca 12-11-2010 09:42 AM

my sewing machine sits on a desk my grandpa made. I second the checking at the thrift stores, garage sales for cheaper prices.

Office liquidation places might also have things that can be worked there, too.

pieces 12-11-2010 10:58 AM

Check your thrift shops. They have reasonably priced desks.
I paid $25 for one for my granddaughter. It was in great shape.
I later picked up a swivel chair for $5.00.
They have different stuff come in all the time. They told me
especiallly in the spring time when people are moving.
So if you don't find one now, check back in the spring.

Aurora 12-11-2010 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by quilter41
Aurora, doesn't your way take all the fun out of Xmas?

Not at all. There are still lots of gift exchanges and get togethers. I am not exhausted and my bank account is not anemic. I just spread the fun throughout the year. I have plenty of time for baking and volunteering.

ladyshuffler 12-11-2010 11:35 AM

I would walk away with my head high............do they really think they can get that much for a desk???? Do not blame you at ALL :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

quiltluvr 12-11-2010 12:11 PM

I like to find other bargains to repurpose. To me they are much easier to customize than what's offered by these other specialty cabinet companies, whose prices are beyond outrageous for my taste.

Born2Sew 12-11-2010 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
You could find one at a second hand store and paint it pink!

I was thinking the same thing! Don't forget to check out Big Lots if you have one locally. Often they have good items like that at a great price. Check out a used furniture or second time around type shop. You could paint one up and decorate it as you choose.. If nothing else find a couple of night stands and make a top for them.

Imagination is key!

ligia 12-11-2010 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by rebeccalr
it was made out of MDF, not virgin hard wood from the Brazilian rain forest.

Got love a MDF desk for 450.
Virgin hard wood from the Brazilian rain forest is priceless !!!!!

Neither Brazilian or anyone elseīs rain forest are supposed to be devastated just to please people. Not anymore.

There are lots of wood furniture in second hand shops, one can always be creative.
Early this year I bought a 50īs wardrobe to go with a 30`s bed I bought a couple of years ago. Had both beautifully coated in white lacquer (?) ; got a nice guest bedroom furniture ... still waiting for the right fabric to finish the wardrobe.

In the name of future generations forests shall not be exterminated no matter where they are.
Thanks for reading.