Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   darling sewing desk (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/darling-sewing-desk-t81921.html)

amandasgramma 12-12-2010 09:30 AM

Out of curiosity, I went online this morning to find a sewing table....I was appalled at the price -- and for so little! The one I looked at was $400+ and had one drawer! I have an old sewing desk given to me by my MIL years ago ----- has 4 drawers!!!! I'm with others, go to a second hand store. If you find one like mine (made in the 50s) and the sewing machine isn't working, and the price is right, just paint it!!!!!

Olivia's Grammy 12-12-2010 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
My husband took an old sewing machine cabinet, cut a whole in the top and even got a lift for the machine so it goes up and down, course a stationary shelf would work just as nicely.

Where did you get the lift for the machine?

sew wishful 12-12-2010 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy

Originally Posted by nursie76
My husband took an old sewing machine cabinet, cut a whole in the top and even got a lift for the machine so it goes up and down, course a stationary shelf would work just as nicely.

Where did you get the lift for the machine?

I'd be interested in this too.

quiltnmom 12-12-2010 08:50 PM

DH is making one for me. He saw the ones I was looking at were made out of MDF and then saw the outrageous prices and said he'd make me one. Granted I would have had one by now if I had ordered it but the one DH is making will be around long after I'm gone.

asmmauer 12-12-2010 08:51 PM

You might want to try an auction my hubby and I were coming home from church and we saw a sign for auction today. we stopped and guess what they had? A Singer 15-91 cenntinial edition in a cherry sewing cabinet .Two of us bid on it I got a nice cabinet and great machine for $35.00. After wards the lady told me I got a real steal and I knew I had because had been looking at machines and cabinets on ebay. Auctions can be fun to go to just don't wiggle your nose if it itches LOL.

asmmauer 12-12-2010 09:00 PM

You might want to try an auction my hubby and I were coming home from church and we saw a sign for auction today. we stopped and guess what they had? A Singer 15-91 centennial edition in a cherry sewing cabinet .Two of us bid on it I got a nice cabinet and great machine for $35.00. After wards the lady told me I got a real steal and I knew I had because had been looking at machines and cabinets on ebay. Auctions can be fun to go to just don't wiggle your nose if it itches LOL.

OneMoreQuilt 12-12-2010 09:06 PM

I'm glad you passed it up. Something much better for a better price will come along.

kbs 12-12-2010 09:08 PM

See if you can find a used one and paint it so it reminds you of that overpriced table.

drgranny 12-13-2010 08:10 PM

We live in an area that has a University and they have auctions from time to time to get rid of desks and office equiptment and stuff stdents leave behind. I bought an old oak teachers desk for $5. It was beat up but it makes a wonderful table for my sewing machine.

drgranny 12-13-2010 08:12 PM

We live in an area that has a University and they have auctions from time to time to get rid of desks and office equiptment and stuff stdents leave behind. I bought an old oak teachers desk for $5. It was beat up but it makes a wonderful table for my sewing machine.