Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Desperate for help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/desperate-help-t76362.html)

sandilee 11-15-2010 11:36 PM

My Inlaws made us quilts for a standard size bed and we have a king. I put them on the bed with top and bottom ends overhanging on the side. That is if you are going to NOT use it as a bedspread. These are quilts I use as blankets.

Mornigstar 11-16-2010 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by EdieClay
I had that same problem with a quilt I wanted to put on my new king bed. I put a queen size sheet on top of the bed and found it was exactly the same size as the mattress. I bought some fabric that went with the quilt from Joann's and sewed a skirt around three sizes of the sheet. This make a dust ruffle that fit from the top of the mattress to the floor. It works great!

I have a 77 yr old hand crochet bedspread which could
not be turned to look nice. So I made the dust ruffle in decor fabric that was elsewhere in the room.22" deep

It went down the sides a few inches allowing the cotton bedspread to fit. I had tried to get ANYONE to extend it
but every lady said it was too perfect for them to work on.
I didn't make it but the color was like tea dye so easy to find color . Only problem was when you pulled back the covers at night the bottom part of bed showed above th floor.So, I covered the box springs. But, I really value this crochet work because it took 5 yrs to make.

Ragann63 11-16-2010 04:31 PM

If it is rectangular and not square and the pattern runs both up/down side/side, you can just turn it, placing it on the bed sideways so to speak. It should lay just short of your pillows, even with the bottom of the bed and allow more hang on the sides.

Judie 11-16-2010 06:37 PM

Depending on the pattern of the quilt, You may be able to use it sideways across the bed.. Thus making it wide enough.. It won't be long enough that way, but you can get some pretty pillow shams and some throw pillows to fill the head of the bed.. Very popular to have pretty pillows filling the head of the bed..

I did exactly that with a quilt that was too small to cover the bed and have enough drop to cover the mattress...

madamekelly 11-16-2010 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by dawn444
nix on the new one, painted the room to go with the quilt and am in no mood to paint again.

Ask mom if she would mind if you added a ruffle or band to fit. She may either say yes, say no, or do it herself. It is after all, her art work. She might even have some of the fabric left that you could use. Ask her what she would do. Good luck, and enjoy the new bed. :thumbup:

GrannieAnnie 11-16-2010 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by dawn444
Greetings- My Mom made me a gorgeous quilt two years ago. My husband and I purchased a new mattress set today, and I just know that the quilt won't be wide enough. What can we do??? I appreciate any and all answers.

what I'd do is get a nice solid color bedspread, then just lay the quilt out over it. Maybe on the point.

I'd not try to enlarge it.

BUT, if you want to enlarge it, just add more borders in matching colors.

mjsylvstr 11-17-2010 05:14 AM

Bed runners are all in style right now...fold it down and lay it across the bottom of the bed.......

whoever gets in bed first, gets the quilt over them that night !!!!

lololol

Letty 11-17-2010 09:03 AM

HI, I have several quilts that don't cover but use a heavy textured cream linen cover underneath them that reaches to the floor. This means that the quilts on top are sort of 'displayed' if you see what I mean.As I get older the quilts I make are smaller and this way they can still be shown depending on the season.When able , given my inability to post pictures, I will show you how I display them.Just make sure that you show how you love the gift,as I'm sure you will.God Bless,Letty.