Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   DH saw the news tonight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dh-saw-news-tonight-t99824.html)

jajudd24 02-15-2011 11:31 PM

a quilter can never have oo much fabric....lol

kapatt 02-15-2011 11:31 PM

"I will be buying on sale and looking for bargains."

Yes, that is what I will be doing too. I do have tubs of fabric organized by color so I don't go looking for fabric very often. I wait until a certain store in my area has it's sales. The owner has sales twice a year and the sale is around 50% off of all of the fabric in the store. I save my spending money for a few months and go in and stock up at both of the sales. (I usually buy from $100 to $150 worth of material each time.) The rest of the time, I only buy fabric that is needed for project that I am working on and is not in my stash. (My stash is growing so I usually have what I need for my projects.)
Since I am using my own spending money, my husband doesn't say anything about what I buy. :lol: My husband likes for each of us to have some spending money that we can use on what we want. He loves going to Harbor Freight when they have their sales so he understands why I do what I do. Since neither one of us uses the household money for personal things or hobbies, we don't argue or fight about what we buy.

Becky Crafts 02-16-2011 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Linda B
Mine didn't 'get it' either until he got into woodworking. You should see his stash of pen blanks, bowl blanks and pieces of wood he has just because 'the grain of the wood is so nice.' And his stuff is alot more costly than mine!

I'm there with you! My DH is also a woodworker & loves tools. He does some great stuff, but it IS expensive. Thankfully he feels bad sometimes because I try to be so frugal with my crafts & he tells me to go get some more fabric or whatever I happen to comment on because I don't say too much about what he spends. Of course I do ferret some FQ's away he's unaware of from time to time that I just couldn't pass up! LOL

QuiltingGrannie 02-16-2011 04:18 AM

My DH looked at my fabric on the racks on the wall and since there is some empty room commented as to how long it would be before I ask him to put up another section of racks for more fabric. He said he knew it wouldn't be too long down the road. ♥ Gotta love and KEEP him.

Becky Crafts 02-16-2011 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
My DH looked at my fabric on the racks on the wall and since there is some empty room commented as to how long it would be before I ask him to put up another section of racks for more fabric. He said he knew it wouldn't be too long down the road. ♥ Gotta love and KEEP him.

At least they know they're needed! LOL!

Quilter2B 02-16-2011 08:44 AM

I haven't bought any fabric for at least two weeks but I was shocked at some of the prices. Mind you the majority of what I buy I buy on sale or from the thrift stores. My DH has some expensive hobbies too (he's into Harleys) and for what he spent on a shock air pump I could probably have boughten 10 yards of fabric. As long as the bills get paid and there is food in the freezer, I don't complain much about what he spends and he doesn't complain much about mine. We know that it keeps us happy so that is what counts most.

mosquitosewgirl 02-16-2011 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Lord, the clulessness of many DH's. LOL. I still smile when I think about the time I left a big stack of Moda fat quarters on the kitchen counter and DH asked me if I was going to use all those rags as he could use some in his shop.

ROTFLMBO!!!!!!

Ditto

mosquitosewgirl 02-16-2011 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Becky Crafts

Originally Posted by Linda B
Mine didn't 'get it' either until he got into woodworking. You should see his stash of pen blanks, bowl blanks and pieces of wood he has just because 'the grain of the wood is so nice.' And his stuff is alot more costly than mine!

I'm there with you! My DH is also a woodworker & loves tools. He does some great stuff, but it IS expensive. Thankfully he feels bad sometimes because I try to be so frugal with my crafts & he tells me to go get some more fabric or whatever I happen to comment on because I don't say too much about what he spends. Of course I do ferret some FQ's away he's unaware of from time to time that I just couldn't pass up! LOL

My husband is a fly fisherman, and ties all his own flies as well. Fortunately, his birthday is in January and mine is in March. I got him the fly rod he's been wanting for his birthday and he feels so guilty about it that he is pressuring me to get the new Janome I want. And, the more I protest that I really don't NEED it, the more he thinks I should get it. I really didn't mean to set up this dynamic, but........may just take advantage of it.

Iamquilter 02-16-2011 10:34 AM

Not only is the fabric going up but as of March 1 the batting is going up 11%.Ugh.

Therese 02-16-2011 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Lord, the clulessness of many DH's. LOL. I still smile when I think about the time I left a big stack of Moda fat quarters on the kitchen counter and DH asked me if I was going to use all those rags as he could use some in his shop.

Oh no he didn't!!!!! :)