Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did anyone else read this in McCall's mag (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-anyone-else-read-mccalls-mag-t58862.html)

stitchinwitch 08-13-2010 04:32 AM

===============Oh pooh!! - rules, rules, rules==============

harrishwhippets 08-13-2010 04:37 AM

What about our BOW TUCKS? Everyone is making them, showing them and some are even selling them. I have looked on my pattern and no where do it say anything about except all rights reserved. On the other hand I have bought Lazy girl patterns lately and just looked, it says as follows
This pattern is for personal use. Items cannot be made for sale for this pattern. I also have a McCalls pattern for bags and it only says All rights reserved.
So does this mean that if someone buys a pattern goes to a seamstress and has a dress made according to the pattern is this legal. I'm making a quilt from Fons & Porter right now and following the pattern but I'm giving it away and I will not be asking anyone for permission.
This is such a very hard thing to understand with all the pattern magazines out, we have all made quilts from them. I do not sell anything, but I was going to enter one in a show, now I have changed my mind.

Sewze 08-13-2010 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by harrishwhippets
What about our BOW TUCKS? Everyone is making them, showing them and some are even selling them. I have looked on my pattern and no where do it say anything about except all rights reserved. On the other hand I have bought Lazy girl patterns lately and just looked, it says as follows
This pattern is for personal use. Items cannot be made for sale for this pattern. I also have a McCalls pattern for bags and it only says All rights reserved.
So does this mean that if someone buys a pattern goes to a seamstress and has a dress made according to the pattern is this legal. I'm making a quilt from Fons & Porter right now and following the pattern but I'm giving it away and I will not be asking anyone for permission.
This is such a very hard thing to understand with all the pattern magazines out, we have all made quilts from them. I do not sell anything, but I was going to enter one in a show, not I have changed my mind.

Yes, what about our "Bow Tucks"? I just made a second one and gave it to my doctor, as she had admired mine so much, and she just loves it and me. I also just looked on the pattern and nowhere could I find any copyright reference.

LindaR 08-13-2010 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
===============Oh pooh!! - rules, rules, rules==============

my feelings exactly... :thumbup:

cbridges22 08-13-2010 05:59 AM

Hear,Hear!I agree.Anyway anything I make sure would not be mistaken for the real thing,I am just not that good.

Originally Posted by katmom54
Sorry, but I am tired of all the issues about copyrights and who can use what and who can show where. After reading some of these forums I feel like a criminal every time I see a really pretty quilt on the QB and I bookmark it for future reference...I am afraid that one day I will make a quilt and give it to someone as a gift and the 'original' artist will see it and come after me for royalites or something. I feel like I need to enclose a disclaimer with every project i do, and provide a letter of authenticity.
Has crafting (ie, quilting) really become that cut-throat and commercial?
I am not a crook - I don't steal from the LQS, I don't photocopy all my purchased patterns and sell them,and I don't sneak pics at quilt shows to make cheap multiples of the 'winner' to sell on Ebay .
BUT....I am a crafter who enjoys other designs and techniques and incorporate them into my own projects. If I enter a show, I will abide by their rules (but have less and less interest in showing if it is that complicated) ...and since I have no plans to snitch designs and mass market them
...I am not going to worry about copyrights anymore.

Jeandrig 08-13-2010 06:32 AM

I have a question... How do you find the McCalls quilting magazine on line? Some have said they prefer this magazine. So I was hoping to view it.

ekbuckeye 08-13-2010 07:22 AM

Seems to me that, if these laws are so stringent, we couldn't have garage sales or donate items we no longer want or need.

TexasGurl 08-13-2010 08:08 AM

I understand the aspect of copywright - but I also have a real problem with McCall's (or any other publication) saying that permission must be requested from a "quilt designer" - for QUILTS THAT ARE JUST VARIATIONS OF TRADITIONAL, COMMON, LONG-USED BLOCK PATTERNS
Aren't these considered to be in the public domain ???

EVERY magazine out there is today has ENDLESS variations of 9-patches, log cabins, churn dashes, stars, on and on ... (books & patterns too)
Many of these "designer" quilts only differ from another in the actual FABRICS used
How can ANOTHER churn dash or 9-patch variation etc be called an ORIGINAL design ???
What really constitutes a ORIGINAL quilt design today ??? :roll:

CRicart 08-13-2010 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by BRenea
As quilters, we gather information and inspiration from so many sources I have to wonder if any of us can make something truly original. Even if we design our own quilts, haven't we been influenced by what we've seen previously? I understand the protective nature of copyrights, but it all seems to have gone too far. :?

I have seen many commercisl patterns for sale on different websites or in stores that very, very closely resemble other published patterns, or are identical to them. Each had a "designer's" name on it. How can this happen but the quilt guilds shows be policed??

greaterexp 08-13-2010 09:13 AM

Sometimes, I wish we could have kept the mindset of less regulation and just commonsense decency. The world has changed! I am still confused after reading all these posts as to what is really legal. I think it makes sense that if I design a pattern for a whole quilt which is unique (whether or not the block design is entirely my own), and I go to the trouble and expense of making up and printing the pattern with directions and accurate measurements, I should be able to protect my investment in the actual pattern; no one else should be able to copy the pattern instructions and then sell them. But once I make the item from the pattern, I think it should be mine to do with as I wish. It's very unlikely that I could copy exactly the very same product from that pattern. What will we do when every recipe is copyrighted?