Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did I quilt enough? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-i-quilt-enough-t208436.html)

Geri B 12-15-2012 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by tesspug (Post 5720312)
If you're not sure you could do the echo quilting or stippling, you could use 2" blue painters tape and run it along side your seams, on each side. Then follow along side the tape to make straight horizontal and vertical lines. It would create a sort of frame around each cup.

I was going to suggest this as a solution. It definitely needs more quilting....and since you are not sure of your fm/this would be the easiest for you and would definitely be a good finish for your beautiful quilt.

sewmom 12-15-2012 05:10 AM

I love your quilt! It looks warm and comforting. Personally, I would FMQ in the empty spaces, but you said you were not comfortable with doing that. That's ok. I like the idea of more echo quilting or the grid quilting in the blocks. I think that would make the cups really show up. As for in the cups, the heart would be nice or maybe a 'C'. It's a great quilt and it would be a shame to have the batting bunch or shred for lack of quilting. Good luck and show us the finished results.

ghquilter53 12-15-2012 05:18 AM

So, so cute. SID and outlining the cups should be enough quilting. Some cross hatch stitching might be nice too or just hatch a different direction in each block.

Vat 12-15-2012 06:10 AM

I really think you need to add quite a bit more quilting. That is a personal feeling

sewbizgirl 12-15-2012 07:19 AM

I love your quilt-- so cute! If it were mine, I'd want to see more quilting. The SID is invisible... It would be amazing if you could fill in the backgrounds behind the cups with some small meandering, but if that sounds like too much work (or quilting) you could straight stitch 1/2" or 1" on either side of all the block seams, as someone on the first page suggested. This will give a "grid" look to the quilting and also fill in more of the empty background space of the blocks. Any which way, it's adorable!

jbj137 12-15-2012 07:27 AM

It is very nice.

MarthaT 12-15-2012 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by tesspug (Post 5720312)
If you're not sure you could do the echo quilting or stippling, you could use 2" blue painters tape and run it along side your seams, on each side. Then follow along side the tape to make straight horizontal and vertical lines. It would create a sort of frame around each cup.

This is what I would suggest too. I like the frame idea. Much easier for you than trying to do more echo quilting or stippling. You can pull the tape off and reposition it multiple times. If 2" makes it too close to your cup, try 1 1/2 inch.

linhawk 12-15-2012 08:44 AM

If your batting says 2 to 4 inches, I
would measure..say from the corner of the square to the cup.

mary705 12-15-2012 08:49 AM

I have that same music symbol fabric

cherylmae 12-15-2012 08:58 AM

Love it, it's enough to keep it together...it's entirely up to you if you want to do any more quilting on it. Some people prefer to do a lot of quilting, but as a beginner, I think you did great.