Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did I really break my promise? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-i-really-break-my-promise-t106256.html)

I wonder 03-09-2011 08:01 AM

Nope, you didn't break your promise in my book. Couldn't finish it without it so trust me, he will be happy with the final project once its done!

karen65ae 03-09-2011 08:02 AM

No don't think you broke your promise.. How can you finish your WIP if you didn't have the fabric in your stash.

Charity Quilter 03-09-2011 08:02 AM

I Wonder.............I agree with you!

SuzyQ 03-09-2011 08:29 AM

I don't think so. You promised to finish the WIP and you needed supplies to do it ... you didn't buy the fabric for a new project. Heck, if DH was building shelves and ran out of nails wouldn't he buy the nails to finish it? Seams like the same thing to me. :)

LucyInTheSky 03-09-2011 08:41 AM

My rule is always that if you're working on a UFO/WIP and need additional border/backing fabric, it's okay. You just have to get to right about when you're ready to use it (rather than buying it and keeping it for a year)

sueisallaboutquilts 03-09-2011 08:42 AM

Nope! Quilts have to have backs, just like people hahaha

crochetetc 03-09-2011 09:36 AM

I would say it depends on what his definition of finished is. And if the top was completed and only needed backing?

If the top was incomplete and I went shopping for a back, I think that would be breaking the promise.

fabric_fancy 03-09-2011 09:49 AM

in my house that would be considered breaking the promise since i have an extensive stash and surely could have found some fabric that would work for the backing.

cmw0829 03-09-2011 10:03 AM

Nope, this doesn't count. No rules broken.

deema 03-09-2011 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by jillaine

Originally Posted by deema
Maybe if you'd mentioned it to him before heading to the store, he wouldn't feel like you'd broken the promise?

I think Deema nailed it. Most of our partner-woes can be boiled down to lack of or mis- communication.

And really, it doesn't matter what WE think about whether or not you broke your promise. (We're not married to you.) The key is: your spouse felt you did.

I would simply apologize, and then come to a revised agreement about what you should do if/when this situation occurs in the future.

Best to you,
Jillaine

That was my line of thinking - mis-communication. I'm glad someone saw that...I was worried some might see it as "asking permission"...which is something I never do in my marriage...but I do tell him what purchases I plan to make for the simple fact that the money is all coming and going from the same place and we should both know about it. While I don't see it as a promise broken, I can understand why he might feel that way, especially if there were not any mentioned "stipulations" to the agreed to promise (such as making a purchase to finish a project). I agree that it might be a good time to create such a stipulation, should this situation arise in the future.