Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did you start sewing in 4-H? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-you-start-sewing-4-h-t66855.html)

Alice Woodhull 09-28-2010 04:12 AM

I was in 4-H and learned to bake and sew. Made an apron and hemmed tea towels. 4-H and church was my summer as I was an only child living out in the country with no close neighbors. I had sewed rug rags on my mother's treadle since we didn't have electricity. After it came through, I loved sewing on the electric sewing machine. I sewed a lot of my and my daughter's clothes and after I got into quilting, I seldom make any clothes, except wearable art. Have been quilting 25 years, and have enough projects in my head to last me until at least 150 years old. Don't think I'll make it. I am now a 4-H sewing leader and have a quilting club through Extension Homemakers.

mdollar 09-28-2010 04:26 AM

I did learn in 4-H and then carried it on into Home Ec in high school. They don't do any of that anymore and it is sad in a way. Those were the good ol' days.

countrymaid 09-28-2010 04:29 AM

4-H, Grange and Home Bureau. I did alot of garment sewing in high school and college. Eventually got more into crafts. Then the kids needed nap blankets for kindergarten and that pushed me back to quilting. Now I have WIP's for grandchildren and great-nephews.

patsyo56721 09-28-2010 04:32 AM

I began sewing in home-ec in Jr. high school.

taj334 09-28-2010 04:33 AM

4-H was a given at my house. Thanks for a great flashback. Maybe that's where I was given the idea that I could do anything I set my mind to. My mom was a leader for our group and we did everything we possibly could, from sewing aprons at 7 to showing the calves. It was a great way to grow up. Maybe the "techie" kids of today could use a little 4-H.

maryj 09-28-2010 04:46 AM

Yes, I learned to sew in 4-H. We had a great leader and teacher. We made the standard apron and gathered skirt. When my daughter was young, I started a small group at her school. I admire all teachers and leaders.

clonesfan2 09-28-2010 06:41 AM

We moved from Ohio to Nevada 6yrs ago and before that I never sewed. Mom moved with us and had a Bernina that needed to be cleaned. Took it to local Bernina shop and she ended up buying a new machine. I had to take her to classes and thought it looked like fun. So I tried my hand at it and am now hooked and also working part time at the same Bernina Shop

pearsonstudio 09-28-2010 07:02 AM

I made an apron too. I found all of my record books the other day just before my hubby and I went to judge the speech contests. All I remember is our teacher made me rip alot!! I learn excellance from 4H. NEVER thought I would use it for quilting!!

Robinlee 09-28-2010 07:17 AM

I grew-up in 4-H, started when I was 7years and my kids whom were raised in town were also in 4-H. And just to clear something up, from finishing a degree in Home Ec and art......and presently an Extension Educator, 4-H isn't just for country and farm kids. You won't believe how many city kids do participate in 4-H (check out Chicago and New Your). As the old saying goes, 4-H isn't just sewing and cooking, cows and horses anymore. 4-Her's learning about technology, finiance and starting your own business. And to top it off.......there are loads of music artists, a couple presidents and other famous people who were in 4-H. 4-H is "learn by doing", and as someone else said "4-H is in my blood". 4-H and their "after school" programs will teach the needed area's that schools neglect and money is short.
I also took Home Ec's in school and when in Jr and Sr year I assisted with teaching topic of the day, many times. I knew then, that this was going to be my area in college and masters.
Just need to get some of this off my chest...........

MS quilter 09-28-2010 07:27 AM

yES! me too.