Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did you start sewing in 4-H? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-you-start-sewing-4-h-t66855.html)

granny_kee 09-28-2010 01:37 PM

Hey; Rent-a=car 2. I remember in 4H pulling the thread to get a line to cut on........started sewing at 8yrs, on a tredle Singer and am still at it at 73, and going strong !!!

MadQuilter 09-28-2010 01:51 PM

No 4-H in Germany.

booklady 09-28-2010 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
What is 4H ?

Similiar to the Young Farmers groups in Australia and in Europe. 4-H tends to be a younger age.

jlong 09-28-2010 02:30 PM

Yes, I loved my 4H club.

christinetindell 09-28-2010 02:33 PM

Yes, in fact, I was in 4-H for 10 years and went to the State Fair in various projects for the last 6 years of my time there. I loved it, and was very heavily involved. I was the county Federation President my senior year in high school and was involved at the multi-county and state level for much of my high school years. The funny thing is, I had absolutely no interest in quilting until about 6 years ago. I just sewed garments. Now, you couldn't pay me to sew a garment!!!

carhop 09-28-2010 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Angellight
No 4-H, My mom tried to teach me to sew and did teach me embroidery, but was not a patient teacher, wanting everything as perfect as she would do it. I learned most of my sewing in Home-Ec (3 yrs jr high, 3 years high school). Taught myself cross-stitch, crochet, and a few of the other crafts I do, or learned from friends that were a little more patient.
My Dad said I had to learn to cook out of self defense, as my mother worked nights, and he was in charge of the evening meal a lot of nights. I don't remember thinking I was being poisoned, but I am a fairly decent cook, if you don't mind my saying so...

My mother showed me how to sew but had to learn in my own way as I sew like a left hander and am right handed I also learned to knit and crochet on my own (grand mother would not show me)

christinetindell 09-28-2010 02:34 PM

That is so funny!! Remember the project of the placemats and napkins that we made this way?

gramofmany 09-28-2010 03:07 PM

4-H...my best memories growing up in the country. That was the only activity back then. I loved it and I can't believe how far I walked to the meetings. Life was so much simpler then. Feed-sack gathered skirts...sleeveless dresses and 2 piece outfits. Roundup in August to wear what we had made all summer and to be judged. Oh that was living. 4-H camp was also a great time in the late 40's and the 50's. I sure wish kids today had it so good!

Quilting Grandma 09-28-2010 03:28 PM

Me too.. 59 years ago in western Kansas I joined 4-H and learned to sew. My first project was an apron.

When I took sewing in Jr. High I had a major argument with the teacher over technique. Somehow we settled it and I got a "C".
Only because I did it the 4-H way and at 13 was too stubborn to change.

Owllady 09-28-2010 03:33 PM

Yes. we were told to always pull a thread to make sure the grain was straight. If not we had to pull it straight before cutting.