Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Didn't think I liked Batiks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/didnt-think-i-liked-batiks-t192387.html)

jaciqltznok 06-21-2012 07:24 PM

welcome to your new addiction...check out www.stitch-n-frame.net they always have batiks on sale...TONS of batiks!

burchquilts 06-22-2012 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by momto5 (Post 5307146)
I love Batiks too...after going through the same stage you did...not liking them....I've now become a fanatic!

I'm right there with you. I think they used to not be as FABULOUS as they are now. They were kinda heavy & stiff back in the day. Now they're just yummy & need to come live at my house! My only little complaint is I wish there were more pastel ones. I think they're hard to come by.

burchquilts 06-22-2012 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok (Post 5307350)
welcome to your new addiction...check out www.stitch-n-frame.net they always have batiks on sale...TONS of batiks!

Connecting Threads has beautiful, reasonably-priced batiks, too.

joycet 06-23-2012 03:42 AM

jcrow...I can see several "shopping trips" in your future...why you ask? for Batiks for your stash!!! LOL I too love them..but make sure you get some of the lighter colors too. I never thought about that until I was watching Fons and Porter one morning. They were saying how they liked the darker ones but also need lighter ones too. It hit me them...lighter ones. OK..more shopping was in my future too!!! VBG

DogHouseMom 06-23-2012 04:28 AM

I adore batiks ... not just the yummyness of the colors, but the fabric itself is typically a tighter weave and the fabric has much less fray. The work I like to do the most is with small pieces, which means the fabric is handled a lot more, which means more fray as you continue to work with it. When I work with regular prints by the time I am finished with the piece I have strings from frayed edges EVERYWHERE. Not so much with batiks. Batiks also seem to hold starch better and stay crisper.

My only complaint about batiks is that I can't find enough in grey. I need/want several shades of grey in "tonal" (no "print") batiks. I don't trust shopping online as I can't tell if they are true grey - some have beige, blue, or green tones which I don't want.

susie-susie-susie 06-23-2012 04:36 AM

Until about a year ago I didn't like batiks. Now I can't get enough of them. I don't know what made me change my mind. I recently made a whole quilt with batiks that were left over from other projects. I also found some batiks hidden in my stash that I didn't remember buying. Perhaps "they" were sneaking in when I wasn't looking.
Sue

southernmema 06-23-2012 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5306036)
I haven't used Batiks before because I just didn't care for them. Well, I'm making a French Braid and I picked out all Batiks for it. I LOVE batiks! I don't know what I was thinking. I think I was thinking they were muddy looking or something, I don't know. I was use to traditional fabric and Batiks were too far out there for me. Well, not any more. Now, I want to work only with Batiks. Too bad I have only traditional in my stash. Dang!

I will gladly take your "traditional" stuff off your hands! :)

applique 06-23-2012 04:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My only complaint about batiks is that I can't find enough in grey. I need/want several shades of grey in "tonal" (no "print") batiks. I don't trust shopping online as I can't tell if they are true grey - some have beige, blue, or green tones which I don't want.[/QUOTE]

I buy the grey batiks then using a spray bottle with a mixture of fabric paint (Pebeo Setacolor) and Tsukineko ink spray them so the tones go together. I have been buying and using batiks since about 1994 when they were $4 yd. They have changed a great deal since then!

GrannieAnnie 06-23-2012 04:52 AM

I haven't used Batiks before because I just didn't care for them. Well, I'm making a French Braid and I picked out all Batiks for it. I LOVE batiks! I don't know what I was thinking. I think I was thinking they were muddy looking or something, I don't know. I was use to traditional fabric and Batiks were too far out there for me. Well, not any more. Now, I want to work only with Batiks. Too bad I have only traditional in my stash. Dang!

for sheer laziness----that would be me---------I like them because you don't have to worry much about matching prints.

Evie 06-23-2012 07:34 AM

Now, I want to work only with Batiks. Too bad I have only traditional in my stash. Dang!

And the problem with mixing "traditional" with batiks is . . . ?