Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Didn't think I liked Batiks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/didnt-think-i-liked-batiks-t192387.html)

qwkslver 06-23-2012 08:06 AM

Yes do show us what you are doing. I have never bought any batiks. Didn't know what to do with them (still don't). :)

justflyingin 06-23-2012 08:10 AM

I agree with you that some of them are, IMO, ugly, but some of them are absolutely gorgeous! The colors are intense and vibrant (some of them such as the other person linked to).

MdmSew'n'Sew 06-23-2012 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom (Post 5307247)
I didn't like batiks until I started working at a quilt shop nearly 5 years ago. Now I think they're fantastic!

What a brave soul you are! I could NEVER work in a fabric store of any sort, I'd wind up owing them money every week over and above my paycheck.

katieranch 06-23-2012 08:36 AM

Batiks are my favorite, glad you discovered how wonderful they are.

helenhiwater 06-23-2012 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Evie (Post 5310767)
And the problem with mixing "traditional" with batiks is . . . ?

I love the batiks, but I think they look much nicer mixed with other fabrics.

JanieH 06-23-2012 12:55 PM

I love batiks also. They add so much to a quilt.

Favorite Fabrics 06-23-2012 01:42 PM

I too had to warm up to batiks... and in the beginning they all looked the same to me.

Now I know how to tell them apart easily... and have learned which companies tend to offer clear colors, and which ones do smoky shades. For instance, if you want a vivid yellow, Timeless Treasures does some nice ones and if you want soft, buttery shades Robert Kaufman does those. Generally my favorite batiks are by Hoffman but they just do not make a nice clear yellow "printed" batik; theirs tend to have gray in them (which really does muddy the color). But for smoky colors Hoffman is the best. Just IMHO... your opinion may certainly vary :)

MimiBug123 06-23-2012 05:15 PM

I'm like you! I had to warm up to batiks. I just didn't see what all the hoopla was until I bought a jelly roll (on sale somewhere) and started playing with it. Oh my heavens!!! The light came on. I am working on a batik boxy stars now. I was going to make a reading throw, but after I put the blocks I've done so far on my design wall, I think it's going to have to grow. Loving it!

Favorite Fabrics 06-23-2012 06:39 PM

My next quilt - which is actually going to be for my own bed - will be batiks. I want to do the "Shakespeare in the Park" pattern - it's a combination of stars and snails-trail blocks. Half of the fabric will be sandy neutrals and the rest will be rainbow shaded from deep blues through turquoise to green. It is to remind me of all the vacations spent in Florida. The colors are those of the beach sand and water, including that indescribable color of waves backlit by the sun.

Sewhappygal 06-24-2012 04:31 AM

I too love batiks but am have a terrible problem with them bleeding. All colors, especially if there is any teal in it. I'm surprised I have any color left in the fabric I have. They've been soaked and washed so many times. I'll use up what I have but I probably won't buy more. :(