Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do You "Name" Your Quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-%22name%22-your-quilt-t54765.html)

schwanton 07-18-2010 11:54 AM

Usually I don't name my quilts, but if you enter them in a quilt contest, you are required to have a name for your quilt. Sometimes thinking of a name is harder than sewing the quilt!

Lori L 07-18-2010 12:29 PM

The flip side to this post is.....if you don't name your quilt.....what DO you call it when you are working on it? Just "the quilt" .....I'm just curious.

Patti 07-18-2010 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lori L
The flip side to this post is.....if you don't name your quilt.....what DO you call it when you are working on it? Just "the quilt" .....I'm just curious.

Good question!!!

Pati- in Phx 07-18-2010 01:15 PM

yes. It may just be the name the designer gave it, or it may be the name it tells me. <G>
After the work that goes into the quilts, they deserve to have some identity, especially when they talk to you. <G>

Pati, in Phx

quilt3311 07-18-2010 01:31 PM

I have trouble thinking up names for the quilts I make. Usually turn that over to a friend who comes up with neat ideas and "borrow" her naming ideas.

Annz 07-18-2010 03:18 PM

I never really thought about it. If it is a pattern I don't think I have the right to name it other than what the pattern is. I am not a designer so I will never be able to design one but now that you mention it I think I will name all my quilts from now on. Wait a minute I did create some of my own quilts even if they were nine or twelve block squares. It is what design fabric you put into it that is creative.

sewmom 07-18-2010 03:30 PM

last year a quilter that had her quilts for sale in a local crafters store challenged me to name my quilts. I try but i really suck at it. the names are usually kinda lame. i agree with Madquilter comment.

Patti 07-18-2010 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Annz
I never really thought about it. If it is a pattern I don't think I have the right to name it other than what the pattern is. I am not a designer so I will never be able to design one but now that you mention it I think I will name all my quilts from now on. Wait a minute I did create some of my own quilts even if they were nine or twelve block squares. It is what design fabric you put into it that is creative.

In the end....YOU are the designer!!!! Name it anything up want!!!

mpeters1200 07-18-2010 04:43 PM

I have had 3 of my own design....sort of. I used patterns from quilter's cache to make one sampler with 9 blocks for my Gramma that I called Gramma's Sampler. Then one with 25 different blocks called "The Anniversary Sampler", and one signature quilt Honesty, Responsibility and Duty for the leader of our Boy Scout pack.

The rest pic up names as I go...but mostly they are named after the person I'm giving them to so I can keep them separated. I've just started a patriotic sodoku quilt called "fireworks" and a D9P with race cars called "It's Racing Day".

Patti 07-18-2010 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Patti

Originally Posted by Annz

In the end....YOU are the designer!!!! Name it anything up want!!!

Duh!!! Name it anything YOU want!!!