Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you actually USE your scraps?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-actually-use-your-scraps-t27818.html)

NorBanaquilts 10-28-2009 12:33 PM

I use mine. The last scrap quilt I made was all the scraps from my shop hop quilt (with others bits & pieces mixed in) it was for a friend for her birthday.

LucyInTheSky 10-28-2009 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by scrap quilter
Scraps did someone say scraps..........
Scrap quilts are my all time favorite quilts to do.
I have done several.........
If there is anyone out there who doesn't want their scraps....... I will gladly take them.
Here are a couple of scrap quilts I have done.

Thus the name Scrap Quilter

Scrap Quilter - 3rd picture - french braid - how do you get all the braids to interlock?? I know how to do a basic french braid, but I can't figure out how you managed to get all of your pieces to interlock.

All very beautiful

LucyInTheSky 10-28-2009 03:41 PM

Thank you all for sharing. I really appreciate your ideas and suggestions. I never thought of a scrappy log cabin, though I have no idea why since I've seen them before!

I might do something with triangles... I hardly ever work with triangles (and I'm probably going to remember why when I start working on it :D)

judee0624 10-28-2009 03:55 PM

I use mine! All year I have been doing monthly calendar quilts using scraps. It is from a book from Scraps of Time. Then I used up most of my strips in a string block quilt. I am making more of those now as I get more strips in the scraps. I have cut up a bunch of scraps into squares and as soon as I have enough, will make a D9patch quilt. I don't throw much out. My avatar is and example of HSTs I made from scraps. It is a great quilt.

:D

judee

Shemjo 10-28-2009 03:59 PM

Of course! But not as much as I could, because they are growing!

Olivia's Grammy 10-28-2009 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
This quilt is made from the scrap bin. So the answer is "Yes"

That's beautiful. What pattern is it?

Olivia's Grammy 10-28-2009 04:20 PM

Scrap Quilter, your quilts are beautiful.
I use my scraps quite often for string quilts, or string pillows, applique, paper piecing. The backs of quilts and to try out new blocks or new embroidery. I let my students use my scraps for their projects. Love my scraps.

QuiltMania 10-28-2009 04:36 PM

I use scraps. The fish quilt I made my younger son is almost entirely of scraps. In fact, I'll gladly take scrap donations from anyone who doesn't want theirs. :)

MadQuilter 10-28-2009 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Ms Grace

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
This quilt is made from the scrap bin. So the answer is "Yes"

:shock: WOW! That's beautiful!! :D
What pattern did you use?

Thanks, it was a fun one. Sad thing though - the scrap bin was still full when it was done.

I can't recall what magazine that pattern was in but it is super easy:
Take two same-size rectangles (one dark one light) and sew them together with a mitered seam. For the first row, alternate dark and light. For the next row, alternate light and dark.

kdid82 10-28-2009 05:17 PM

I've made 2 queen size disappearing 9 patch quilts and just finished a queen size string quilt with scraps. Have enough strips cut to do at least one more string or log cabin, and still have scraps!! They do reproduce in the dark. :roll: :roll: