Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you cut more than one pattern at a time? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-cut-more-than-one-pattern-time-t249687.html)

nannyrick 07-07-2014 11:09 AM

Do you cut more than one pattern at a time?

I was curious if any of you cut more than one patten out at a time?
In other words, do you cut, say a number of patterns, so they are
ready to sew, when you are?
Hope I,m being clear. Thanks.
Elaine:)

b.zang 07-07-2014 11:16 AM

You sound like a production quilter! While I don't hate cutting out my fabric, I'm always eager to start sewing about halfway through the cutting so I can see what it's going to look like. Having the self-control to cut out a number of quilts would probably stretch me too thin.

Tartan 07-07-2014 11:22 AM

Nope, I cut enough to start sewing a few blocks of a pattern.

Denice_a 07-07-2014 11:25 AM

Yes, I often cut several different patterns out before I start sewing on any of them... I just keep all the pieces and patterns together in a box or zippered pouch. Then, when I'm ready to start sewing something together, I can just grab a new project. I actually plan to cut out two different projects this weekend while camping. The weather should be great so I can cut out the fabric on a picnic table. But, I don't really want to drag my machine with me this time, so, I'll just cut and cut and cut...

QuiltingHaven 07-07-2014 11:39 AM

I usually have 3 quilts going at one time; one cutting, one machine quilting, and one that I am hand quilting. Keeps me out of trouble (or gets me into trouble..ha!)

AngeliaNR 07-07-2014 11:42 AM

I only do one at a time. I love cutting, so I want it to be a part of the process each time. I do cut a bunch of scraps at a time, but rarely for a specific project.

Lori S 07-07-2014 11:42 AM

I can't cut more than the project I am ready to start immediately ... otherwise I run the risk of changing my mind by the time I get to the next one that's cut.

ckcowl 07-07-2014 11:49 AM

I seldom cut out a whole quilt aall at once... I am way to apt to change my mind half way through. And if I cut out 2 or 3 whole quilts at once and just put them in a bag or something by the time I got around to making it there is a really good chance I know longer like that pattern or wish I had used different fabric, or worse yet-find I really needed that fabric for some other project... There is also the issue of starting the project to find there are incorrect cutting instructions and you've wasted all that fabric- have to start all over anyway. Just the thoughts cause me all kinds of anxiety

SueSew 07-07-2014 12:14 PM

I do one quilt cutting at a time but I can have multiple things going at once - brainwork of cutting and math, soothing piecework, stressful joinery, and the artsy part of picking patterns and fabrics. If all I have to do is stressful (like the little applique landscape quilt I designed and finished after six month's work!) I won't get any simple stuff done in the off-hours.

Jim's Gem 07-07-2014 12:19 PM

Quite often I do. I put together "kits" for baby quilts for a good friend to sew together. I also make "kits" for my quilting group to work on for our "Project Serve" We get together one evening a month for about 9 months out of the year and work on quilts for our local NICU, and other local organizations that love our quilts.

I will occasionally cut out several baby quilts for either boy or girl at once if I have several baby gifts that need to be made. There are two boy babies due in September and October, I will probably start selecting fabrics and make up at least the two, but maybe even 5, so I have a couple on hand.

I guess you can say I am a "Production Quilter" I make from 20 to 50 quilts a year.