Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you cut more than one pattern at a time? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-cut-more-than-one-pattern-time-t249687.html)

ManiacQuilter2 07-07-2014 02:27 PM

I only cut for one pattern at a time. Don't want to make any mistakes getting two patterns confused. :)

ghostrider 07-07-2014 02:48 PM

Good heavens, no! Way too much risk that I would:
a) change my mind about using those fabrics,
b) change my mind about ever wanting to make that project at all,
c) decide I really wanted to use those fabrics for that other project, or
d) all of the above.

I'm an intuitive quilter, often working on impulse alone. Cutting up fabric for something that isn't happening 'right here and right now' just doesn't work for me. To each our own, right? :)

ube quilting 07-07-2014 03:51 PM

I never cut a whole quilt at one time. I can see myself getting it cut and then having it be wrong. It is so easy to move the ruler a quarter inch and not realize it, in my world.

I always cut as I go, get a few blocks made and cut some more. If I make a wrong cut, I only loose a little fabric.
peace

nannyrick 07-07-2014 03:53 PM

WOW Gayle, I can only imagine doing that many quilts in a year. Congratulations on all that work.

CRO 07-07-2014 03:59 PM

I'm lucky to get 3 quilts done a year. I only cut a few blocks at a time as I'm always worried about making a mistake which I make plenty of!!

franc36 07-07-2014 05:40 PM

If I had a larger sewing room, I probably would cut more than one quilt at a time. I often work on several quilts at a time; but only one of them would be in the cutting stage. Recently, I have been starching my fabric so that it is very stiff. That makes cutting easier. To be honest, I really enjoy cutting.

QuiltnLady1 07-07-2014 06:28 PM

Several years ago I cut several quilts at a time, put the pieces in zipper bags with sketches of my idea for the quilts and put the bags in a "safe" place. Fast forward to a couple of months ago when I was packing up for our move and I found the "safe" place and all the baggies. They are in a box and I hope I can get to them when I unpack. After that experience a couple of years ago I have not cut multiple quilts again. I also agree -- I am a "free style" quilter -- I may get inspiration from a pattern but rarely does my quilt resemble the pattern, so I don't even cut the whole quilt out at once since I will probably want to make changes to the pattern as I go along. :)

Nammie to 7 07-07-2014 06:37 PM

I usually only cut the pieces for one quilt at a time too, but I do have multiple projects going at any given time. One that requires piecing, one that needs quilting, one for applique, one hexie, one embroidery -- that way I can pick up any project that appeals to me when I get ready to do one.

irishrose 07-07-2014 08:36 PM

I am a cut as you go quilter. I cut, sew, cut, sew, etc. Right now I have scrappy batik on the wall and need to see what colors I need before I cut. My arthritic hands would have a hard time cutting a whole quilt at one time.

Annaquilts 07-07-2014 08:43 PM

At times I do but I put them all together along with the pattern in a ziplock bag or bin. I think of it as making my own precut kits.