Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you Facebook..why or why not? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-facebook-why-why-not-t107161.html)

ewecansew 03-12-2011 07:30 PM

I have a FB page and quite enjoy it. I have a lot of quilt people on it like Pat Sloan, Bonnie Hunter, Nancy Brenan Daniel. At first I wasn't that comfortable with it, but am careful what I post. All those Farmville type games can be blocked. I have seen some exceptional quilts from award winning quilters through FB. My kids tease me all the time about my 'friends'.

cdufur 03-12-2011 07:54 PM

I have a facebook account and check it everyday. It is no longer just a "gossip" site. It is a social networking site that many, many businesses, including my employer, are using. As with ANY site on the internet, you have to be careful with what you post. If you are posting anywhere on the internet, including this board, you are opening yourself up to the possibility of someone "hacking" your information. This also includes email and blogs. I don't "play games" in facebook and I "hide" every game that someone "suggests" that I play. I have also hidden "friends" because I don't care what they do every minute of the day or I don't want to hear their negativity with EVERY post! Of course I HATE to talk on the phone, so this is my way of visiting. Also, when my "adopted son" was in Iraq, we were able to "talk" every night by messaging on Facebook.

cdufur 03-12-2011 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by ksea
I was required to have a facebook page by 2 of my professors when I was in school. I got a virus on my computer that the Geek Squad said definetly came from Facebook. It cost me $387 to get my compute fixed so I don't use it unless I am at school on their computers.

I'm really surprised that the school will let you use their computers for facebook. It is blocked at our school, so students cannot use it.

I wonder 03-12-2011 08:11 PM

I love facebook! It's wonderful keeping in touch with family and friends as we are so far away. I have all settings set to private, so there is no lurking from strangers. It's the best way for me to quickly post a message or photos.

cathylynn 03-12-2011 08:18 PM

I have an account and check it daily. my family is back east in Oh and Pa and this is how I keep up on their news. My niece recently had a baby (Travis) and I got to see him via Facebook and Skype. otherwise, I'd miss out. you only put up the info you don't mind people seeing (likes, no addresses except city, no phone #'s, no birthdates, etc) and I only allow access to my family and a few friends.

DogHouseMom 03-12-2011 08:20 PM

Most of my friends/family live in other states or abroad so FB is a great way to keep in touch with them and "share" quick experiences and photo's. I was very skeptical at first though, reading stories about people (mostly dumb people) who got fired, denied a job, or found by police because of FB postings. At the time I joined I was laid off and job hunting. So I joined under a different name. When I sent friend requests to family/friends I sent the request telling them who I really was so they wouldn't think I was a weirdo (well I am, but they still friended me).

I'm not terribly into it, I don't post a lot. Although one late afternoon my husband, myself, and his three kids in England were posting back-and-forth rapidly and we quickly had a "threat" with 150+ posts! It was a hoot then he finally told them to go to bed!!

We're able to see our first grandchild grow up in FB. We were able to be there when she was born, but we can't fly there as often as we would like. She's 9 months old now and took her first steps last week :)

Connie in CO 03-12-2011 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
I Love facebook!!! I live far away from my family (daughter in North Carolina, family in San Francisco & Reno; friends Everywhere), and I miss them terribly. Facebook lets me see the latest photos of my favorite nephew's children. Let's me be silly with my sister. Let's me leave beautiful music to my mom (yes, she's 80 and does facebook!). It lets me make plans to meet up with friends I haven't seen since highschool. Facebook enriches my life. It has wonderful privacy settings so that you can block yourself from even showing up in a search if you so wish. I would be Sad if facebook went away. Depressed, even! :-)

I do Facebook,i have alot of friends there.I don't do the games i just keep track of my family and what there doing.Connie in CO

Jim 03-12-2011 09:15 PM

My Wife and I both have Facebook accounts..we have lots of old classmates as well as family members..we find out lots of stuff on it...We wouldn't have it though but, our DD told us that Facebook wasn't for OLD people...so of course we HAD to sign up.

justflyingin 03-12-2011 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by debp33
I don't do Facebook because I don't trust anyone possibly getting my information. Don't you have to put in your first and last name?

Although I just started a blog. I don't know if that's safer or not??

I think FB is much safer than a blog if you want limited access. You can control the settings and make it so only friends can see your information. A blog? You have absolutely no controls about who reads it.

California Girl 03-12-2011 10:19 PM

Yes but don't put much personal stuff on there. I do post quilt pictures for family and friends to see and sometimes have made a quilting friend in the process. I'm on it every day just to check things out and say hi to family. Some nice games on there when my hands are tired of sewing but the mind is active. Not a bad place in moderation.