Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you have a back up machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-have-back-up-machine-t39046.html)

mic-pa 03-09-2010 10:11 AM

I have three Janomes so a back-up is necessary. My newest one is going in the shop tomorrow for its annual check-up and will be gone 2 weeks.

Marjpf 03-09-2010 10:17 AM

I have two back ups. One is a Singer my DH bought for me when we first got married. All metal, no bells or whistles, but a real work horse. The other is a 1958 Singer feather weight.

Chasing Hawk 03-09-2010 10:21 AM

I have one, its my Singer 132q featherweight. I have had it about 8 yrs now.

Shibori 03-09-2010 10:58 AM

I have my Janome for piecing and my Juki is on the longarm, but I can pull it off if the Janome gets cranky.

no1jan 03-09-2010 11:15 AM

I actually have 3 backups. One is a Kenmore with decorative stitches which is in the attic. I never liked the machine.

I also have two Vintage Singers in cabinets. The first is a Model 66 which was built in 1930. When I bought it the bobbin winder did not work, but for a $2.00 tire, now works perfectly. Cost me $40.00.

Next is a model 201. This was built in 1937 also in a cabinet. After oiling and cleaning, it works with a nice stitch. The problem is if you go fast it does squeek a little. I gather from the way the bobbin was packed with lint that they never oiled or cleaned the machine, which I did. I might need a little grease and possibly a new belt. I saw tiny cracks in the bobbin tire, but it works perfectly, very smooth.

What I like about these is the stitches are perfectly straight. They were made before they started making zig zags and from what I understand that is why the stitch is so perfect.

I actually like sewing on these better than my Janome. They only go forward, no reverse, but as long as the quilt is not too big, I just turn the fabric around.

amma 03-09-2010 11:47 AM

I have my old Kenmore as a back up and can use my emb machine as well :D:D:D Can't be without a machine, now can we??? :D:D:D

Jingle 03-09-2010 01:48 PM

I have 2 Juki TL98QEs and 3 others, I only use 1 Juki, but, I could use the other, I prefer these they are hard workers and can keep up with me. I would not be without a back up of some sort.

May in Jersey 03-09-2010 02:20 PM

I have a cheapier Brother I paid less than $200 for 10 years ago when I began quilting that I keep for a back up. It just didn't hold up to the amount of sewing it did on it and was in the shop at least once a year for repairs. That's when I bought a Pfaff Quilt Expersion that is great and I use for sewing and quilting. I also have a white Featherweight built in 1963 that I just began using again, it does sew beautifully but it's kind of slow so I might be selling it.

I could kick byself because I had picked up an old Kenmore at a gargae sale for $25, was a little loud but ran nicely. I didn't have room for it so I sold it to a guild member for what I paid for it. Those old Kenmores and Singers don't have anything fancy on them but they are workshorses.

MamaBear61 03-09-2010 03:07 PM

I don't have a backup right now, but it is something I am considering, just in case my Pfaff decides it wants a rest at some inconvenient time. I would really like to get something that is just a workhorse machine no bells and whistles (they are on the Pfaff) that I could use for piecing and/or straight machine quilting

ginnie6 03-09-2010 03:12 PM

well I've emailed about 2 old "workhorses" on local craigslists and am just waiting on replies. My kenmore has more features than I use now so an old machine that just goes and goes is what I'd like to have as a backup and a spare for dd.