Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you have a back up machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-have-back-up-machine-t39046.html)

ginnie6 03-09-2010 08:52 AM

This morning I'm definitely seeing the wisdom of this! So I'm looking on CL and found about a 1954 Singer (looking at pics online and dating it). It works but has no attachments and the cabinet needs refinishing but the price is right and is close to where dh is working so he could pick it up for me. I want an older machine that is all metal and not computerized. Also I have my Grannie's Singer 99 clone that needs work. I'm pretty sure it needs a new motor and the wiring and light are shot. Which one of these do you think would be better for quilting? Or just get both of them and have them both up and going? :lol: That way I have a back up and dd has a machine.

yourstrulyquilts 03-09-2010 08:56 AM

Yes, and I have only used it once. But I figure it's insurance in case the other one gets sick!
YTQ

MaryStoaks 03-09-2010 09:01 AM

I would buy the 1954 Singer if it's in good running condition. They are workhorses and can be maintained by you. I would keep Grannies old machine and look into refurbishing it. A motor is likely to cost alot (maybe $100)and you would also have to fix the wireing, not cheap if you don't do it yourself. You might just do what I did with a simular old machine, put a handcrank on it (cost a little over $20).

dkabasketlady 03-09-2010 09:03 AM

I'd definitely get the old Singer, try it out before buying. You can get attachments and they're great machines!

shaverg 03-09-2010 09:10 AM

Yes, I have my Singer Featherweight.

belmer 03-09-2010 09:12 AM

Have hubby pick up the old singer for you. I have a back-up too. I use my back up for piecing when I have quilting thread and the walking foot or free motion foot in my Elna.
I usually have 3 to 4 projects going at one time.

grammyp 03-09-2010 09:15 AM

I do have one, but it is an old industrial straight stitch only. A real work horse and I love it. I still have my old Singer, but the foot pedal is on it's last leg. Guess I should replace it.

ginnie6 03-09-2010 09:38 AM

well I think when I hear back from them I will send him by to look. He's a millwright so surely he can tell if the machine is ok! lol! I'm going to try and get him to look at Grannie's old machine motor this weekend. I can do all the work of rewiring and replacing the motor if need be by myself. I'm a pretty resourceful gal when I have to be! I think that over time I want to restore that one anyway as its sentimental to me.

redrummy 03-09-2010 09:53 AM

Yes, I have 2 machines here I use regularly, one with white thread for piecing, one gets changed to whatever color I need in a hurry because it has a needle threader. I have my moms machine, it needs fixed tho, waiting till I can afford to do it.

BellaBoo 03-09-2010 09:55 AM

I have backups for my backups. LOL I have two Janome Gems (one my DD bought and left here), three Vintage Singers (301, Featherweight, and 15-90 in cabinet) One Singer Quantum (computerized) and a Brother 1500 quilting machine. I only bought two of my machines the rest were gifts. I do use them all for different projects.